Time Evolution of the Gaussian packet

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the propagator equation and the Gaussian wave packet equation to arrive at a final equation. The conversation also addresses the confusion surrounding the use of "X" and the integration method used. It is concluded that the result is from a Gaussian integral with the free propagator and the initial wave packet.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Can someone give me a general idea (I do not need and probably will not understand the rigorous mathematics) of how you can use the propagator equation

[tex] \psi(x,t) = \int{U(x,t;x',t')\psi(x',t')dx'}[/tex],

the equation for a Gaussian wave packet,

[tex]\psi(x',0)= e^{i p_0 x'/\hbar}\frac{e^-x'^2/2\Delta^2}{(\pi\Delta^2)^{1/4}}[/tex],

to arrive at the equation [tex]\psi(x,t) = [\pi^{1/2}(\Delta+\frac{i +\hbar t}{m\Delta})]^{-1/2}

exp{\frac{-(x-p_0 t/m)^2}{2\Delta^2(1+i \hbar t/m \Delta^2}}

X exp[\frac{i p_0}{\hbar}(x - \frac{p_0 t}{2m}) ] [/tex]

Is this just a really complicated integration method? Is that a cross product or multiplcation? If it is a cross product how does come in? See Shankar 154 for more context.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really do not know of any integration methods that give a cross product so I don't know. Just a general explanation would be helpfull.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the propagator "U" is the free propagator then you can actually just write it down explicity and then you just have to do a gaussian integral to get the result. If "U" is the propagator for almost any other system the problem gets hella harder.The "X" is not a "cross product." how could it be a cross product!?... there are no vectors!

You're right about the cross-product. Then I have no idea why the author used an X instead of a dot for multiplication. It is actually a free propagator. So that is just the result of the Gaussian integral with the propagator and the initial psi...I see.

1. What is a Gaussian packet?

A Gaussian packet refers to a wave packet that has a Gaussian shape. It is a fundamental solution to the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the time evolution of a particle's wave function.

2. How does a Gaussian packet evolve over time?

A Gaussian packet evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes how a particle's wave function changes over time. As time passes, the Gaussian packet spreads out and becomes more diffuse.

3. What factors influence the time evolution of a Gaussian packet?

The time evolution of a Gaussian packet is influenced by several factors, including the particle's initial position and momentum, the potential energy landscape, and external forces acting on the particle.

4. What is the significance of the time evolution of a Gaussian packet?

The time evolution of a Gaussian packet is significant because it allows us to understand how a particle's wave function changes over time and how it spreads out in space. This is important in quantum mechanics for predicting the behavior of particles and understanding the properties of materials.

5. Can the time evolution of a Gaussian packet be observed in experiments?

Yes, the time evolution of a Gaussian packet has been observed in experiments, particularly in studies of quantum tunneling and wave interference. These experiments provide evidence for the validity of the Schrödinger equation and the concept of wave-particle duality.