1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Evolution of the Gaussian packet

1. Jul 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can someone give me a general idea (I do not need and probably will not understand the rigorous mathematics) of how you can use the propagator equation

[tex] \psi(x,t) = \int{U(x,t;x',t')\psi(x',t')dx'}[/tex],

the equation for a Gaussian wave packet,

[tex]\psi(x',0)= e^{i p_0 x'/\hbar}\frac{e^-x'^2/2\Delta^2}{(\pi\Delta^2)^{1/4}}[/tex],

to arrive at the equation [tex]\psi(x,t) = [\pi^{1/2}(\Delta+\frac{i +\hbar t}{m\Delta})]^{-1/2}

exp{\frac{-(x-p_0 t/m)^2}{2\Delta^2(1+i \hbar t/m \Delta^2}}

X exp[\frac{i p_0}{\hbar}(x - \frac{p_0 t}{2m}) ] [/tex]

Is this just a really complicated integration method? Is that a cross product or multiplcation? If it is a cross product how does come in? See Shankar 154 for more context.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really do not know of any integration methods that give a cross product so I don't know. Just a general explanation would be helpfull.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2007 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

If the propagator "U" is the free propagator then you can actually just write it down explicity and then you just have to do a gaussian integral to get the result. If "U" is the propagator for almost any other system the problem gets hella harder.

The "X" is not a "cross product." how could it be a cross product!?... there are no vectors!

4. Jul 15, 2007 #3
    You're right about the cross-product. Then I have no idea why the author used an X instead of a dot for multiplication. It is actually a free propagator. So that is just the result of the Gaussian integral with the propagator and the initial psi...I see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?