Time travel by going fast in a spaceship: questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation in special relativity, particularly the idea that time can move slower in one reference frame compared to another due to relative motion. The textbook explanation uses the example of a light pulse bouncing between two points in a moving spaceship, which appears to take longer from the stationary Earth's perspective. However, the same reasoning can be applied from the spaceship's perspective, resulting in a paradox. This is because the definition of "at the same time" is relative to the observer's frame of reference. The conversation also mentions the "twin paradox" and the role of acceleration in resolving it. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a helpful link to further information on the topic.
tufflax
Hi!

First of all, I just want to say that I don't know much about general relativity. But my question concerns an example often found in textbooks about special relativity.

On to my question. I have heard several times that one can travel forward in time (earth-time) by leaving earth, traveling close to c in a spaceship and then come back. But I don't understand this. I know the textbook reasoning behind it, but I'm not satisfied by the textbook explanations.

The textbook explanations go like this:

Say we have a mirror in the ceiling of the traveling spaceship, and send a light pulse straight up from the spaceship floor, let it reflect in the mirror, and come back. We measure the time of that, and call it t.

From earth, the light appears to travels not straight up, but in a longer path since the spaceship moves relative to earth. But since c is the same for all reference frames, the time it takes will appear longer from earth. Let's call it t2. So t2 > t.

And so time moves slower in the spaceship than on earth, so when the spaceship gets back, more time has elapsed on Earth than in the spaceship.

My question: What if the mirror experiment had been carried out on earth? Then the exact same reasoning could be made, and the conclusion would have been the opposite: that more time had elapsed in the spaceship than on earth. And without that particular explanation: Why would the time in one reference frame go faster than time in the other, given that the laws of physics are supposed to be the same in all inertial reference frames?

Physics news on Phys.org
tufflax said:
Hi!

First of all, I just want to say that I don't know much about general relativity. But my question concerns an example often found in textbooks about special relativity.

On to my question. I have heard several times that one can travel forward in time (earth-time) by leaving earth, traveling close to c in a spaceship and then come back. But I don't understand this. I know the textbook reasoning behind it, but I'm not satisfied by the textbook explanations.

The textbook explanations go like this:

Say we have a mirror in the ceiling of the traveling spaceship, and send a light pulse straight up from the spaceship floor, let it reflect in the mirror, and come back. We measure the time of that, and call it t.

From earth, the light appears to travels not straight up, but in a longer path since the spaceship moves relative to earth. But since c is the same for all reference frames, the time it takes will appear longer from earth. Let's call it t2. So t2 > t.

And so time moves slower in the spaceship than on earth, so when the spaceship gets back, more time has elapsed on Earth than in the spaceship.

My question: What if the mirror experiment had been carried out on earth? Then the exact same reasoning could be made, and the conclusion would have been the opposite: that more time had elapsed in the spaceship than on earth. And without that particular explanation: Why would the time in one reference frame go faster than time in the other, given that the laws of physics are supposed to be the same in all inertial reference frames?

You can reverse the rolls - from the Earth's point of view, time is slow on the spaceship and normal on the Earth. From the spaceship point of view, time is slow on the Earth,and normal on the spaceship.

This is possible because the definition of "at the same time" depends on the observer and his state of motion.

If you draw a space-time diagram, it looks like the included figure below:

attachment.php?attachmentid=37080&stc=1&d=1310342900.png

The stationary observer uses the green lines of simultaneity, the moving observer uses the red lines. Each concludes that the other clock is slow when they compare clocks using their own notions of simultaneity (the green and red lines on the diagram).

This is known as the twin "paradox". It's not a real paradox, of course, when the fact that simultaneity is relative is factored in. There's about two zillion posts on this, and just as much more written about it, if you care to read about it.

One interesting case is when one twin accelerates, so that they eventually re-unite. In that case, in flat space-time, the twin that accelerates wil be the younger when they reunite.

I figured this question would have been asked a lot, but didn't know the name of the paradox.

Anyway, I read up on wikipedia, and it makes more sense now. But the way they describe it in every textbook I ever read, they don't resolve the paradox. No wonder people are puzzled by it.

Thank you!

1. What is time travel by going fast in a spaceship?

Time travel by going fast in a spaceship, also known as "time dilation", is a theoretical concept in which an object that is moving at high speeds experiences time at a slower rate compared to objects that are stationary. This means that the object traveling at high speeds would experience time differently and could potentially travel into the future.

2. How does time travel by going fast in a spaceship work?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity. Time dilation occurs when an object travels at speeds close to the speed of light, causing time to pass more slowly for the object relative to a stationary observer. This means that the object traveling at high speeds would experience time at a slower rate, allowing them to potentially travel into the future.

3. Is time travel by going fast in a spaceship possible?

As of now, time travel by going fast in a spaceship is considered to be a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible. While time dilation has been observed in experiments with high-speed particles, the technology to travel at speeds close to the speed of light is currently not available. Additionally, there are many theoretical and practical challenges that would need to be overcome for time travel to be possible.

4. Can time travel by going fast in a spaceship only take us into the future?

Based on the theory of time dilation, traveling at high speeds could potentially allow us to travel into the future. However, it is currently unknown if traveling at high speeds could also allow us to travel into the past. Some theories suggest that it may be possible, but it would require immense amounts of energy and advanced technology.

5. What are the potential implications of time travel by going fast in a spaceship?

If time travel by going fast in a spaceship were to become a reality, it could have significant implications for our understanding of time and the universe. It could also potentially open up new possibilities for space exploration and the study of the universe. However, it also raises ethical and philosophical questions that would need to be addressed before any practical applications of time travel could be considered.