Time Travel: How Far & Fast to Reach Alien Neighbors?

In summary: The alien planet is 100 light years away. Presumably, when someone goes to that planet with near light speed, they would be going forward in time too- so if they traveled 120 years, 150 years would have passed on Earth and in the alien planet. This is a problem if they want to arrive there as soon as possible relative to the aliens. I did some calculations and found that if someone goes at 0.6c, they will arrive in 166.67 years, but if they go at 0.8c, they will only arrive in 125 years. Going faster than the speed of light actually results in arriving 5000 years late! However, if someone goes at a more reasonable speed (0.8c), they can travel 100
Saerryan89
I was discussing with a friend about speed of light and time traveling and I realized something bizarre. I could be wrong so please correct my mistakes.
So let's assume we want to go to our alien neighbour whose planet is 100 light years away. When we travel there with near light-speed, we should be going forward in time too. Which means if we travel, let's say, 120 years, 150 years could have been passed in the world and in our neighbours planet. This is a problem if we want to arrive there as soon as possible relative to them. I did some calculations and;

let's say we are going at;

0,6 c which means we would arrive to our destination in 166,67 years (for traveler). But on the outside it would be ~208,33 years which means we traveled ~41,66 years forward in time.

0,8 c which means we would arrive to our destination in 125 years (for traveler of course). But on the outside it would be ~208,33 years (wow same as 0,6 c) which means we traveled ~83,33 years forward in time.

0,99 c which means we would arrive to our destination in ~101,01 years(again, for traveler). But on the outside it would be ~5075,879 years! It is because we are so close to speed of light it literally fast-forwards the universe!

So by going faster we actually arrived almost 5000 years late! But if you travel at more reasonable speeds(0,8 c) we can travel 100 light years in 125 years while the universe around us age more than 200 years which is still reasonable(a lot more than 0,99 c at least)

Here are my calculations -> http://www.mediafire.com/view/1tq82330kffsby3/IMG_0471.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations are all wrong. As measured by Earth and the destination planet, the time taken to travel 100 light years is simply the distance divided by the speed of the rocket. So, at 0.99c, only 101 years have passed on Earth and at the destination.

The time that passes on board the ship will be less than this, according to the time dilation formula.

Haldun Bucak said:
I was discussing with a friend about speed of light and time traveling and I realized something bizarre. I could be wrong so please correct my mistakes.
So let's assume we want to go to our alien neighbour whose planet is 100 light years away. When we travel there with near light-speed, we should be going forward in time too. Which means if we travel, let's say, 120 years, 150 years could have been passed in the world and in our neighbours planet. This is a problem if we want to arrive there as soon as possible relative to them. I did some calculations and;

let's say we are going at;

0,6 c which means we would arrive to our destination in 166,67 years (for traveler). But on the outside it would be ~208,33 years which means we traveled ~41,66 years forward in time.
No, if you are moving at 0,6c relative to "the outside world" the it will take you 100/.6= 166,67 years "on the outside world". To the traveler, taking time dilation into account, that would be 133.33 years. In any case I not clear on what you mean by "travel into the future". We all "travel into the future" even if we are sitting still.

0,8 c which means we would arrive to our destination in 125 years (for traveler of course).
Again, no. 100/0,8= 125 would be the time to people who are not moving relative to the two stars.

But on the outside it would be ~208,33 years (wow same as 0,6 c) which means we traveled ~83,33 years forward in time.
To the traveler, the time required would be 75 years.

0,99 c which means we would arrive to our destination in ~101,01 years(again, for traveler). But on the outside it would be ~5075,879 years! It is because we are so close to speed of light it literally fast-forwards the universe!

So by going faster we actually arrived almost 5000 years late! But if you travel at more reasonable speeds(0,8 c) we can travel 100 light years in 125 years while the universe around us age more than 200 years which is still reasonable(a lot more than 0,99 c at least)[/quote]
What? Where did you get 5000? At 0.99c, you can go 100 light years in 100/.99= 101 years. Again, that is relative to people at rest relative to the stars. To the traveler it would take 14,25 years.

Here are my calculations -> http://www.mediafire.com/view/1tq82330kffsby3/IMG_0471.jpg

As others have noted, you are mixing up who measures what, which is why you are getting odd answers. It's important in relativity to keep track of who is measuring distances and times, because people will not in general agree.

You said the alien planet was 100ly away. Presumably that's measured by the people on the planets. If the ship travels there at 0.6c, then according to clocks on the planets it takes distance/speed=100/0.6=166.67 years to get there. Clocks on the spaceship are ticking slowly seen from this perspective, so the travel time according to people on the ship is 133.33 years.

From the perspective of the ship, however, it is stationary and the planets are moving at 0.6c. Its clocks are ticking normally from this perspective - but the distance between the planets is length contracted to 80ly. The time for the destination planet to come to the ship is distance/speed=80/0.6=133.33 years.

There is a third element to relativity, in addition to length contraction and time dilation, which is the relativity of simultaneity. I haven't mentioned it above, but you do need it to paint a complete and coherent picture of this journey.

Let's take a look at your first calculation:

Haldun Bucak said:
0,6 c which means we would arrive to our destination in 166,67 years (for traveler).

Not for the traveler. This calculation is done using coordinates in Earth's frame of reference. Imagine an x-axis stretching from Earth to the distant planet. It's marked off in units of light years. If x=0 at the location of Earth, then x=100 at the location of the distant planet. It would indeed take 166.67 years for the rocket to reach the distant planet, in this frame of reference. Note that we are looking at two events here. Event 1 occurs when the rocket leaves, Event 2 occurs when the rocket arrives.

You then calculated correctly that ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-0.6^2}}=0.8##. However, you made a mistake when you divided by this number, you should instead have multiplied:$$(0.8)(166.67)=133.33.$$

The best way I know to keep track of this is to look at things from the frame of reference of the rocket. Imagine an x'-axis with the rocket at the origin. As the rocket moves it carries this x'-axis with it, so when it gets to its destination it's still at the origin! In other words, it hasn't changed position in its frame of reference. In this frame of reference Events 1 and 2 occur at the same place, so that the time elapsed between them is by definition a proper time, called ##\Delta \tau##.

$$(\Delta \tau)^2 = (\Delta t)^2-(\Delta x)^2 = (166.67)^2-(100)^2 = (133.33)^2$$

In your next two calculations you made this same error, but you also made mistakes in the arithmetic you did. If you fix those, you'll get the right answers.

1. How far can we travel through time?

Theoretically, we can travel through time as far as we want. However, in order to reach our alien neighbors, we would need to develop technology that can travel at near the speed of light to cover the vast distances in space.

2. How fast do we need to travel to reach our alien neighbors?

To reach our alien neighbors in a reasonable amount of time, we would need to travel at least close to the speed of light. This would require immense amounts of energy and currently, we do not have the technology to achieve this speed.

3. Is time travel possible?

Time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, but currently, there is no scientific evidence to support its possibility. The laws of physics, as we currently understand them, do not allow for backward time travel. However, some theories suggest that time travel to the future may be possible through techniques such as time dilation.

4. How can we communicate with our alien neighbors if we reach them through time travel?

Communicating with our alien neighbors would require advanced technology that can transmit and receive signals over vast distances. We would also need to develop a common language or method of communication that both parties can understand.

5. What challenges would we face in reaching our alien neighbors through time travel?

Reaching our alien neighbors through time travel would pose many challenges. The most significant challenge would be developing technology that can withstand the immense speeds and distances required for time travel. We would also need to consider the ethical implications of interacting with an alien species and the potential consequences of altering the timeline.