Exploring the Time Travel Paradox: What Happens When You Meet Your Future Self?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time travel and the possibility of a time loop for a person who jumps forward and back in time. It references the movie Back to the Future as an example of this type of plot. However, the conversation also points out that the scenario becomes increasingly complicated and convoluted, but there is still only one person traveling through spacetime.
AdityaDev
I was thinking about time travel...this is what i came up with ---->
lets say person A (age 20,year 2014) travel to the year 2024 and meets himself (A2, age 30).lets say a kills his future A (i.e A2) and travels back in time (which i know is not possible but then).
Now A is back in 2014.After 10 year another A will kill the actual A. Does this end up in a time loop for A? (only for A or for all?)

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say its a loop since time ends for A. What if you consider that A knows the fact and decides to change it?

This type of plot was featured in the Back to the Future movie where Marty gives Doc Brown a note that says he'll be shot by
terrorists in the future an event that Marty witnessed. Doc Brown then must decide whether he will read the note or not and act on it or not.

If present A hides, then the other A will search and return back...now there are two A.when the A that tried to kill the original A returns, he will also hide and another A will come after 10 years...now there are 3 A.So does this mean the universe multiplied?

jedishrfu said:
I wouldn't say its a loop since time ends for A. What if you consider that A knows the fact and decides to change it?

This type of plot was featured in the Back to the Future movie where Marty gives Doc Brown a note that says he'll be shot by
terrorists in the future an event that Marty witnessed. Doc Brown then must decide whether he will read the note or not and act on it or not.
I have not any of those movies...can u give a better explanation?

Science fiction movies are not valid references or topics for this forum.

AdityaDev said:
and travels back in time (which i know is not possible but then)

It's no more impossible than traveling forward in time the way you have described it (i.e., jumping forward 10 years without living through the intervening time).

AdityaDev said:
Does this end up in a time loop for A?

No. There is only one A: he jumps forward 10 years, then jumps back 10 years, then goes forward 10 years in the normal way (by experiencing 10 years), and then is killed.

AdityaDev said:
If present A hides, then the other A will search and return back...now there are two A.when the A that tried to kill the original A returns, he will also hide and another A will come after 10 years...now there are 3 A.So does this mean the universe multiplied?

No, it means you are making your scenario more and more complicated. But however complicated you make it, there is still only one A; his path through spacetime just gets more and more convoluted. Try drawing a diagram of A's path through spacetime (using dotted lines for the jumps); you will see that it is a single connected path (if we define "connected" loosely enough to include the dotted lines representing the jumps).

1. What is the time travel paradox?

The time travel paradox is a theoretical situation where a person travels back in time and changes a certain event, thereby altering the course of history. This creates a paradox as it raises questions about the possibility of changing the past and the consequences it may have on the present and future.

2. What happens when you meet your future self?

Meeting your future self can lead to a variety of outcomes, depending on the theories of time travel. One possibility is that the encounter could create a paradox, as it raises questions about the origin of your future self and the events that led to your meeting. Another possibility is that the encounter may not have any significant impact, as it could be part of a predetermined timeline or parallel universe.

3. Can time travel alter the course of history?

The concept of time travel altering the course of history is a topic of debate among scientists. Some believe that time is fixed and unchangeable, while others argue that the past can be altered through time travel. The answer to this question is still unknown and remains a subject of research and speculation.

4. Are there any real-life examples of the time travel paradox?

There are no known real-life examples of the time travel paradox. The concept of time travel is still a theoretical concept, and there is no scientific evidence to support its possibility. However, there are many fictional examples of the time travel paradox in literature and media.

5. How do scientists explain the time travel paradox?

Scientists have different theories to explain the time travel paradox. Some propose the concept of parallel universes or alternate timelines, where changes in the past create a new future without affecting the original timeline. Others suggest that the past is fixed and unchangeable, and any attempt to alter it creates a paradox. However, the explanation of the time travel paradox remains a topic of ongoing scientific research.