Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration apparatus

1. Feb 9, 2015 #1
    Does it matter if I use acid or base in the burette or pipette? Is it necessary for the known or unknown to be in a specific thing? If yes, why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is a discussion question for a prelab test? What are your ideas on the concept?

4. Feb 9, 2015 #3
    No, I was just wondering while watching various titrations on Youtube. I'm self studying for AP Chem.
    According to me, it shouldn't because in the equation N1V1 = N2V2, all I need are 3 knowns to determine the one unknown. And I will get the volume of both the solutions regardless of whether I take the analyte or titrant in either.

5. Feb 9, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

And, as long as the percentage uncertainties in volumes are reasonably similar, you've answered your question. Yes?

6. Feb 9, 2015 #5
    Yeah, thanks :)

7. Feb 13, 2015 #6
    Some strong bases can damage the burette if you are leaving them in for extended periods. Also your choice of indicator can be a factor as the color change can be more easily detected one way or the other. If you are doing two or more titrations with an acid or base in common the choice of what will be in the burette will be one of convenience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook