Titration Apparatus: Acid/Base, Necessity of Known/Unknown

• Thread starter erisedk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of acid or base in a burette or pipette and whether it matters which one is used. It is also mentioned that for the equation N1V1 = N2V2, only three knowns are needed to determine the unknown. The discussion also touches on the potential damage of strong bases to the burette and the convenience of choosing which solution to put in the burette when conducting multiple titrations.
erisedk
Does it matter if I use acid or base in the burette or pipette? Is it necessary for the known or unknown to be in a specific thing? If yes, why?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is a discussion question for a prelab test? What are your ideas on the concept?

No, I was just wondering while watching various titrations on Youtube. I'm self studying for AP Chem.
According to me, it shouldn't because in the equation N1V1 = N2V2, all I need are 3 knowns to determine the one unknown. And I will get the volume of both the solutions regardless of whether I take the analyte or titrant in either.

And, as long as the percentage uncertainties in volumes are reasonably similar, you've answered your question. Yes?

Yeah, thanks :)

Some strong bases can damage the burette if you are leaving them in for extended periods. Also your choice of indicator can be a factor as the color change can be more easily detected one way or the other. If you are doing two or more titrations with an acid or base in common the choice of what will be in the burette will be one of convenience.

What is a titration apparatus?

A titration apparatus is a laboratory tool used to measure the volume of a solution needed to react completely with another solution. It typically consists of a burette, a flask or beaker, and a stirrer.

What is the purpose of using acid/base titration?

The purpose of using acid/base titration is to determine the concentration of an unknown solution by reacting it with a solution of known concentration. This allows for precise measurement of the unknown concentration.

Why is it necessary to use a known solution in titration?

Using a solution of known concentration is necessary in titration because it allows for accurate measurement of the unknown concentration. Without a known solution, it would be difficult to determine the endpoint of the reaction and calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.

What is the importance of using an indicator in titration?

An indicator is used in titration to signal when the reaction between the two solutions is complete. This is known as the endpoint and is crucial in determining the concentration of the unknown solution. Indicators change color when the solution reaches a certain pH, making it easier to identify the endpoint.

How do you perform a titration?

To perform a titration, you first need to measure out a known volume of the unknown solution and place it in a flask or beaker. Then, using a burette, add the known solution to the unknown solution until the endpoint is reached. Record the volume of the known solution used, and use this value to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.