To all the believers or non believers out there, do you really believe

• Thread starter genius01
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an omnipotent being and whether it is possible for such a being to exist in our universe. The conversation also touches on the concept of the Big Bang and how it relates to the existence of a higher being. The speaker expresses their belief that omnipotence is a delusion and questions the idea of an omnipotent being existing in our universe. The conversation ends with the mention of the speaker's wife, who believes that an omnipotent being can exist in this universe.
genius01
To all the believers or non believers out there, do you really believe a being with immeasurable power via (an omnipotent being) could exist in our universe? This may be partially aimed at christians, why would you believe the Big Bang is less improbable than an arbitrary higher being existing in (non time) and suddenly the universe exists. I believe everything has to conform to the laws of logic, in this universe,omnipotence is a delusion a sad excuse for those who lack even a basic amount of curiosity. Well, so the point of this is,can an omnipotent being exist in this universe?

Physics news on Phys.org

My wife says yes. I figure she probably means me.

Since this involves religious beliefs, closed.

1. Do you really believe in a higher power or deity?

As a scientist, my belief in a higher power or deity is a personal matter and may differ from others. However, my scientific training has taught me to approach beliefs with evidence and critical thinking. So while I may have faith in a higher power, I also acknowledge the limitations of our current understanding and the need for further exploration.

2. How do you reconcile science and religion?

The relationship between science and religion is a complex and ongoing discussion. As a scientist, I believe that science and faith can coexist and complement each other. Many scientists also have religious beliefs and see no conflict between the two. It's important to remember that science seeks to explain the how and religion seeks to explain the why, and they can both offer valuable perspectives.

3. Isn't science just another form of belief or faith?

While both science and belief require a level of trust and acceptance, they differ in their approach and foundations. Science is based on evidence, experimentation, and the scientific method, while belief often relies on faith and personal experiences. Additionally, science is constantly evolving and adapting based on new information, while belief systems tend to remain unchanged.

4. How can you believe in something that cannot be proven?

As a scientist, I am constantly seeking evidence and proof to support my beliefs. However, there are some things that cannot be proven using scientific methods, such as the existence of a higher power. This does not mean that belief in something unprovable is invalid; it simply means that science may not have all the answers. It's important to have an open mind and respect different perspectives.

5. Do you think science and religion will ever be able to fully coexist?

I believe that science and religion can peacefully coexist and that they can even enhance each other. However, this requires open-mindedness, respect, and understanding from both sides. As we continue to advance in our scientific knowledge, it's important to remember that there may always be aspects of life that science cannot fully explain, and that's where faith and belief may play a role.