1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To calculate Fermi energy from arbitrary dispersion relation

1. Jul 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    problem statement is attached as problem.pdf

2. Relevant equations

eqn are given in the pdf file

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried in vain to connect Fermi energy with dispersion relation. I just dont have any clue ,I also tried to determine the effective number of electron but still I dont know how to get the fermi energy from that

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

I didn't check but I suppose the dispersion relation is monotonous in the range of interest (plot it!).
    What is the spacing of the k values if you assume the crystal to be of length L?
    How many electrons will there be in the crystal of length L?
    Hence what is the maximal k value occupied?

4. Jul 31, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your reply.But I failed to understand a thing.Please be a little descriptive.

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4
    I have the same problem, if can plz help.

6. Mar 24, 2016 #5
    i also have the same problem . plz help me

7. Apr 2, 2016 #6
    Assume that there are no additional quantum degrees of freedom (spin etc.) for the electron to have degeneracy. I also assume the problem is 1 dimensional crystal.

In that case if 1/3 of the unit cells (aka lattice spots) are occupied, the electron band is 1/3 full. If there were 1 electron in every lattice points, there wouldn't be space for electrons to fit in that band anymore (Pauli exclusion!), so they'd have to take up a different orbital (aka a different band). Since the band lattice momenta $$ka \equiv K \in -\pi \rightarrow \pi$$, that means all the states from $$ K \in -{\pi \over 3} \rightarrow {\pi \over 3}$$ are taken. The fermi energy, which is the energy of the highest state that is occupied, is the value of $$max (\epsilon(K))$$ such that $$K \in (- {\pi \over 3}, {\pi \over 3})$$, in other words, it is

$$\epsilon_F = \epsilon({\pi \over 3} = ka)$$

8. Jul 19, 2016 #7
    Density of states = Vk / Vstates in 3-dimension. Here the problem is in 1-dimension. So density of states will be ratio of lengths,
    Density of states (1D)= KF / (2π/a) ×2 = 1/3
    2 is for electron degeneracy accounting spins and length in 1D K-space is from -π/a to +π/a (as given in the problem |ka|≤π).
    Hence, KF a = π/3. This gives Fermi energy, ε(kF ) = ε0 / 4 .

9. Jul 29, 2016 #8
    Another approach is to look for ##k_F##. If the number of electrons per atom in the conduction band is 1/3, then this implies a hole in the reciprocal lattice every third site at 0 Kelvin. The Fermi momentum is associated with the shortest wave length commiserate with the periodicity of the hole distribution in the lattice.
    ##k_F = \frac {2\pi} {\lambda_F} = \frac {2\pi} {3a}##
    ##\epsilon_F = 2\epsilon_0[sin^2(\frac {k_Fa} {2}) - \frac {1} {6}sin^2(k_Fa)] = 2\epsilon_0[ \frac {1} {4} - \frac {1} {6}\frac {3} {4}] = \frac {\epsilon_0} {4}##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted