To continue with the geosciences or go geotech engineering?

In summary, the individual has a bachelors in geophysics and is deciding between a masters in geoscience/geophysics and a masters in geotechnical engineering, both of which are funded. They are concerned about job security and potential career paths, particularly in the current job market for oil and gas. They are considering pursuing a professional engineering license and have a strong interest in both geology and geophysics. They are also considering civil engineering programs with a focus on geotechnical applications, which can incorporate geophysics into the work.
Typhon4ever
I have a bachelors in geophysics and am currently deciding between attending a school for a masters in geoscience/geophysics and attending a school for a masters in geotechnical engineering. They are both funded to a degree, with the geoscience masters being extremely well funded versus the engineering programs.

What are the potential industry career paths for a masters in geoscience/geophysics? Oil and gas used to be a no brainer but the current job market in oil and the general cyclic boom and bust turns me off from oil and its unpredictable job security.

To my knowledge, a degree in geotechnical engineering would have much better job security and would have the potential to go for professional engineering licensure.

Would I be correct in assuming that the engineering route would be a safer option, with better job security, job options, and career paths? I have an intense love for geology and geophysics but I actually do not know much about their job applications other than nonrenewables and academia. I'm very interested in the work geotech engineers do as well and have a good idea what kind of work I'll like to specialize in if I decide to go that route.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might like to consider Civil Engineering as well .

There can be a lot of geophysics in the work that some Civil Engineers do .

Nidum said:
You might like to consider Civil Engineering as well .

There can be a lot of geophysics in the work that some Civil Engineers do .

All the geotech programs I applied for are civil engineering programs, just with a concentration in geotechnical applications.

Related to To continue with the geosciences or go geotech engineering?

1. What is the difference between geosciences and geotech engineering?

Geosciences is a broad field that encompasses the study of the Earth and its processes, including geology, meteorology, and oceanography. Geotech engineering, on the other hand, is a specialized branch of engineering that focuses on the application of geological principles to the design and construction of civil engineering projects.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both geosciences and geotech engineering have strong job prospects, but they may differ depending on location and industry. Geosciences professionals may find employment in a variety of industries such as oil and gas, environmental consulting, and academia. Geotech engineers are in demand for construction projects, infrastructure development, and land development. Ultimately, the job prospects for both fields depend on individual skills and experience.

3. What skills are required for a career in geosciences or geotech engineering?

Both fields require a strong foundation in math and science, particularly in geology, physics, and chemistry. Good communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are also important for success in both fields. Additionally, geosciences professionals may need to be proficient in GIS and other computer software, while geotech engineers should have knowledge of engineering software and design principles.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in geosciences or geotech engineering?

While a graduate degree can be beneficial for career advancement, it is not always necessary for entry-level positions in either field. Geosciences professionals may find that a bachelor's degree is sufficient, while geotech engineers may need a master's degree for certain roles. It ultimately depends on the individual's career goals and the specific job market.

5. What are the potential challenges of a career in geosciences or geotech engineering?

Both fields can be physically demanding, as professionals may need to work in remote locations or in harsh weather conditions. Additionally, the nature of the work may involve long hours and tight deadlines. Both fields also require continuous learning and staying up-to-date with new technologies and research. However, these challenges can also lead to exciting and rewarding opportunities for those passionate about the geosciences and geotech engineering.