To find atomic polarizability

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atomic
In summary: To find the dipole moment term, you will need to use Gauss's law again. \vec p = \alpha \vec ESo, the dipole moment term is:\vec p = \alpha \vec E \left(\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\right)\frac{q}{r^2}\left(1 - e^{\frac{-2r}{a}} \left(1 + \frac{2r}{a} + \frac{2r^2}{a^2}\right)\right)And the atomic polarizability is:\alpha = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsil
Reshma
The Charge density of an electron cloud for a Hydrogen atom is given by:
[tex]\rho (r) = \left(\frac{q}{\pi a^3}\right)e^{\frac{-2r}{a}}[/tex]
Find its polarizability([itex]\alpha [/itex]).

My work:

Dipole moment p is:
[tex]\vec p = \alpha \vec E[/tex]

I need to calculate the electric field first.
The electric field is given by Gauss's law:
[tex]\vec E = \left(\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\right)\frac{Q_{total}}{r^2}\hat r[/tex]

[tex]Q_{total} = \int_{0}^{r} \rho (r)d\tau[/tex]

[tex]Q_{total} = \int_{0}^{r} \left(\frac{q}{\pi a^3}\right) e^{\frac{-2r}{a}} 4\pi r^2 dr[/tex]

[tex]Q_{total} = \frac{4q}{a^3} \int^{r}_{0} e^{\frac{-2r}{a}} r^2 dr[/tex]

How is this integral evaluated?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate by parts. (*groan*)

Galileo said:
Integrate by parts. (*groan*)
:yuck: Thought so, but is there an appropriate substitution for the e^() term?

Reshma said:
:yuck: Thought so, but is there an appropriate substitution for the e^() term?

This is a very easy one. You will need two steps in the integration by parts. Just start like this

[tex] \frac{4q}{a^3} \int^{r}_{0} e^{\frac{-2r}{a}} r^2 dr = \frac{-a}{2} \frac{4q}{a^3} \int^{r}_{0} r^2 de^{\frac{-2r}{a}} [/tex]

marlon

You don't really need one but I suppose you could go with r'=2r/a to simplify the algebra a little bit.

Thanks, marlon and inha, I'll try it.

OK, the integration part was pretty lengthy and I found the magnitude of the electric field of the electron cloud.
[tex]E_e = \left(\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\right)\frac{q}{r^2}\left(1 - e^{\frac{-2r}{a}} \left(1 + \frac{2r}{a} + \frac{2r^2}{a^2}\right)\right)[/tex]

This is the field of the electron cloud. The proton will be shifted from r = 0 to a point 'd' where the applied field E equals field of the electron cloud.
So,

[tex]E = \left(\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\right)\frac{q}{d^2}\left(1 - e^{\frac{-2d}{a}} \left(1 + \frac{2d}{a} + \frac{2d^2}{a^2}\right)\right)[/tex]

How do I find the dipole moment term from this equation and hence the atomic polarizability?

Last edited:

1. What is atomic polarizability?

Atomic polarizability is a measure of how easily an atom can be distorted from its normal shape by an external electric field. It is a property that describes the change in an atom's electron cloud distribution in response to an applied electric field.

2. How is atomic polarizability measured?

Atomic polarizability is typically measured through spectroscopic techniques, such as measuring the change in the energy levels of an atom when subjected to an electric field. It can also be calculated theoretically using quantum mechanical models.

3. What factors affect atomic polarizability?

The main factors that affect atomic polarizability are the number of electrons in the atom, the distance between the nucleus and the electrons, and the strength of the applied electric field. The type of atom and its electronic structure also play a role.

4. Why is atomic polarizability important?

Atomic polarizability is an important property in understanding the behavior of atoms in different environments, such as in chemical reactions or in the presence of external electric fields. It also plays a role in the formation of materials, such as in determining the optical properties of solids.

5. How does atomic polarizability relate to other atomic properties?

Atomic polarizability is closely related to other atomic properties, such as electronegativity and ionization energy. It is also related to the size and shape of an atom, as well as its ability to form chemical bonds with other atoms. Understanding atomic polarizability can provide insights into these other properties and help in predicting the behavior of atoms in different situations.