Calculate electric polarizability

In summary, the conversation discusses the non-linear polarizability and its expression in terms of the local electric field. The values of ##\alpha_0## and ##\alpha_1## are determined using the given formula and calculations, but it is important to consider the validity of the expression and the units of the values. The final expression for ##\alpha(E_L)## should be in terms of the local electric field.
DannyJ108
Homework Statement
Considering electric cloud charge distribution and obtaining the value for non linear polarizability coefficients
Relevant Equations
##\rho(r) = \frac {Ze} {\pi a^3} e^{-\frac {2r} a##
Hello everyone,

I've got my non-uniform electric cloud distribution formula given by:

## \rho(r) = \frac {-Ze} {\pi a^3} e^{-{2r}/a}##

Where ##Z## is the atomic number of the atom in question and ##a## Bohr's radius and ##E_L## the local electric field.
Considering the previus expression , we obtain a value for non linear polarizability ( ##\alpha \equiv f(\vec {E_L}## ). If we write this as:

## \alpha(E_L) =\alpha_0 +\alpha_1 E_L + ··· ##

Determine the values of ## \alpha_0 ## and ## \alpha_1 ##

That is the homework statement. How I've proceeded:

I determined the electronic cloud's electric field (##E_e##) ussing Gauss law. And expanded in powers for the ##e^{-2r/a}## term (and not writing terms in higher order than 4) and got:

##E_e=\frac {Ze} {3 \pi \epsilon_0 a^3} r##

I then matched ##E_e = E_L## at a certain distance ##d##, and knowing that

##p=Ze·d=\alpha E_L##

I obtain that ##\alpha=3\pi \epsilon_0a^3##

How should I proceed from here? Do I just substitute my ##\alpha## in the expression given by the homework statement? If that's so, to obtain ##\alpha_0## I assumed d=0 (right on the atom's nucleus) and I get that ##\alpha_0=\alpha##, which doesn't seem right. And then I've got a nuisance to obtain ##\alpha_1##

Also the homework statement says we obtain ##\alpha## in terms of ##E_L##, though I don't know if it means once I found ##\alpha_0## and ##\alpha_1## it will be in terms of the local field, or if this ##\alpha=3\pi \epsilon_0a^3## I obtained is wrong and it should be another in terms of ##E_L##.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, great job in determining the values of ##\alpha_0## and ##\alpha_1## using the given formula and your calculations. However, I would like to suggest a few things to consider.

Firstly, it is important to note that the expression for ##\alpha(E_L)## is a Taylor series expansion, which means that it is valid for small values of ##E_L##. In your calculation, you have assumed that ##E_e=E_L## at a certain distance ##d##. However, this may not always be the case and it is possible that the value of ##E_L## may be much larger than the value of ##E_e## at that distance. Therefore, it would be more accurate to use a more general expression for ##\alpha(E_L)##, such as:

##\alpha(E_L)=\alpha_0+\alpha_1E_L+\alpha_2E_L^2+...##

where ##\alpha_2## and higher order terms take into account the non-linearity of the polarizability.

Secondly, it is important to consider the units of the values you have obtained for ##\alpha_0## and ##\alpha_1##. The units of polarizability are usually in ##C^2m^2J^{-1}##, so make sure your values also have the correct units.

Finally, in terms of the statement about obtaining ##\alpha## in terms of ##E_L##, I believe it means that the final expression for ##\alpha(E_L)## should be in terms of the local electric field ##E_L##. This means that your final answer should not have any other variables, such as ##a## or ##Z##.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is electric polarizability?

Electric polarizability is a measure of the ability of a molecule or atom to become polarized in the presence of an electric field. It is a property that describes the response of a particle to an external electric field.

2. How is electric polarizability calculated?

Electric polarizability is calculated by measuring the change in the dipole moment of a particle when subjected to an external electric field. This change in dipole moment is then divided by the strength of the electric field to obtain the polarizability value.

3. What is the unit of electric polarizability?

The unit of electric polarizability is typically given in cubic meters per volt (m^3/V). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as cubic angstroms per volt (Å^3/V) or cubic centimeters per volt (cm^3/V).

4. How does electric polarizability affect the properties of a molecule?

Electric polarizability plays a significant role in determining the optical, dielectric, and chemical properties of a molecule. It affects the molecule's ability to interact with electric fields, as well as its ability to form bonds and participate in chemical reactions.

5. Can electric polarizability be experimentally determined?

Yes, electric polarizability can be experimentally determined through various techniques such as spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, and electron microscopy. These methods involve measuring the response of a particle to an external electric field and using that data to calculate the polarizability value.