To find power factor of the ac circuit given only the source and load voltages

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
sathishj
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
how to find power factor of the load, the three voltmeter readings are V1=220v,V2=122v,V3=136v
 
Attachments
  • pf.JPG
    pf.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 708
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the vector sum of two of these voltages equalling the third, and determine the triangle representing this.
 
The load must be a combination of resistance,R, and reactance,X, because 220^2 does not equal 122^2 + 136^2
this means that for the load Vr^2 + Vx^2 = 136^2
this will give 2 equations which can be solved for the Vr in the load and the Vx for the load
 
No calculations are needed beyond what I outlined:
NascentOxygen said:
Start with the vector sum of two of these voltages equalling the third, and determine the triangle representing this.
 
Some calculation is needed to get a value for Cosθ, either from a vector diagram or by algebra.
Does anyone have an answer? I got 0.83. Purely for personal preference I took the reactive part of the load to be inductive but it could have been capacitative.
 
NascentO
Here is what I did, I interpreted the question as asking for the power factor for the load connected to the supply voltage of 220V (this is what is usually meant for power factor).
The question however does say 'the load' and 'the load' is clearly marked onthe diagram.
I would say there are 2 correct answers !
Sorry! attachment not there... I will do it again
 
Last edited:
Attachment for power factor calculation
 
Attachments
  • power factor.jpg
    power factor.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 722
I interpreted it as a lossy transmission line. Otherwise, I agree with your answers.