Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To produce electric field to polarise water

1. Jun 26, 2014 #1
    i am pursuing b tech in marine engineering. for the final year project i have selected electrostatic coalescer. i need to create a very high potential electric field in which i am having certain trouble. i have doubts regarding the following points:
    1. does electric field will still be created if the electrode is insulated.
    2. how to generate high potential in an economical way? is there any appliance available which is cheap and also meets our criteria. i need to achieve 20 kv .

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Yes, insulated electrodes still produce an electric field. And in the case of this device, using insulated electrodes sounds important.

I'm troubled that you haven't worked with high voltages before, and are now trying to tackle a project at 20kV. Do you have a skilled faculty adviser who can Mentor you in electrical safety?

Can you provide some web pointers to similar devices so we can see how they are constructed and used?

4. Jun 26, 2014 #3
    no sir we do not. I have been trying to get help from the physics dept. but they do not have any expert on this field.
    I would be of much help if you could help me.

5. Jun 27, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, sorry. This project is too dangerous to be discussed here. I recommend that you try to change your project to a low-voltage topic. This thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook