To produce electric field to polarise water

In summary, the speaker is pursuing a final year project in marine engineering and has chosen an electrostatic coalescer. They are facing trouble creating a high potential electric field and have doubts regarding the creation of the field with insulated electrodes and the cost-effective way to generate a 20kV potential. They do not have a skilled faculty advisor and have not been able to get help from the physics department. The speaker is seeking help but is advised to change their project to a low-voltage topic due to its dangerous nature. The thread is now closed.
mmmohit5
i am pursuing b tech in marine engineering. for the final year project i have selected electrostatic coalescer. i need to create a very high potential electric field in which i am having certain trouble. i have doubts regarding the following points:
1. does electric field will still be created if the electrode is insulated.
2. how to generate high potential in an economical way? is there any appliance available which is cheap and also meets our criteria. i need to achieve 20 kv .

Engineering news on Phys.org
mmmohit5 said:
i am pursuing b tech in marine engineering. for the final year project i have selected electrostatic coalescer. i need to create a very high potential electric field in which i am having certain trouble. i have doubts regarding the following points:
1. does electric field will still be created if the electrode is insulated.
2. how to generate high potential in an economical way? is there any appliance available which is cheap and also meets our criteria. i need to achieve 20 kv .

Welcome to the PF.

Yes, insulated electrodes still produce an electric field. And in the case of this device, using insulated electrodes sounds important.

I'm troubled that you haven't worked with high voltages before, and are now trying to tackle a project at 20kV. Do you have a skilled faculty adviser who can Mentor you in electrical safety?

Can you provide some web pointers to similar devices so we can see how they are constructed and used?

no sir we do not. I have been trying to get help from the physics dept. but they do not have any expert on this field.
I would be of much help if you could help me.

mmmohit5 said:
no sir we do not. I have been trying to get help from the physics dept. but they do not have any expert on this field.
I would be of much help if you could help me.

No, sorry. This project is too dangerous to be discussed here. I recommend that you try to change your project to a low-voltage topic. This thread is closed.

I understand your interest in producing an electric field to polarize water for your final year project in marine engineering. Electrostatic coalescers are commonly used in the oil and gas industry to separate water from oil, so it is a relevant and practical project.

To address your doubts, let me first clarify that an electric field can still be created even if the electrode is insulated. Insulation simply means that the electrode is surrounded by a material that does not conduct electricity, such as plastic or rubber. However, the electric field will be stronger and more concentrated if the electrode is not insulated, as the surrounding material can act as a barrier to the electric field.

As for generating a high potential electric field in an economical way, there are a few options you can consider. One option is to use a high voltage power supply, which can be purchased or rented from various suppliers. These power supplies can generate voltages up to several hundred kilovolts, so achieving 20 kV should not be a problem. However, they can be expensive, so you may need to explore different suppliers to find one that meets your criteria and budget.

Another option is to use a Van de Graaff generator, which is a type of electrostatic generator that can produce high voltages using a belt and a metal sphere. These generators are relatively inexpensive and can generate voltages up to several megavolts, so they may be suitable for your project. However, they require a lot of maintenance and can be tricky to operate, so you may need to do some research and practice before using one for your project.

In terms of appliances, there are some low-cost options available, such as homemade electrostatic generators using household materials. However, these may not be able to generate the high voltage you require and may not be reliable or safe for your project.

In conclusion, there are various ways to generate a high potential electric field for your electrostatic coalescer project. I suggest researching and comparing different options to find the most suitable and cost-effective solution for your project. Remember to prioritize safety and proper handling of high voltage equipment. Good luck with your project!

FAQ: To produce electric field to polarise water

1. How can electric fields be used to polarize water?

Electric fields can be generated using charged particles, such as electrons, to create a force on the water molecules. This force causes the water molecules to align in a certain direction, creating a polarized effect.

2. What is the purpose of polarizing water using electric fields?

The purpose of polarizing water is to separate the positive and negative charges within the water molecules, making it easier to manipulate and use in various applications such as electrolysis, water purification, and energy production.

3. What are some methods for producing an electric field to polarize water?

There are several ways to produce an electric field to polarize water, including using a direct current (DC) power supply, a capacitor, or a Van de Graaff generator. Each method has its own advantages and limitations.

4. Can electric fields polarize all types of water?

Yes, electric fields can polarize all types of water, including tap water, distilled water, and even seawater. However, the efficiency of polarization may vary depending on the mineral content and impurities present in the water.

5. Is polarizing water with electric fields safe for consumption?

Yes, polarizing water with electric fields is safe for consumption as long as the water is not exposed to any harmful chemicals or contaminants during the polarization process. It is important to use clean and pure water as the starting material for polarization.