Too late to get into string theory/QFT?

• Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, you should start with these resources to learn more about what you want to study:-QFT courses that you can take officially-Reading up on the areas which interest you, especially string theory-Talking to potential advisors
creepypasta13
I start grad school this fall in physics, but given my lack of pure math courses, is it too late at this point to get into QFT or string theory? (I've only taken proof-based Fourier and real analysis, along with linear algebra. For physics, I haven't even taken undergrad Particle physics or any grad courses yet) I imagine that a lot of the incoming theory students have already taken a lot more physics and math than me

Or would it suffice if I got A's (or close to top of the class) in grad-level Electrodynamics and Quantum mechanics this fall?

Also, if its not too late, how can someone like me pick up the necessary math? Would I have to self-teach myself all of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
creepypasta13 said:
I start grad school this fall in physics, but given my lack of pure math courses, is it too late at this point to get into QFT or string theory? (I've only taken proof-based Fourier and real analysis, along with linear algebra. For physics, I haven't even taken undergrad Particle physics or any grad courses yet) I imagine that a lot of the incoming theory students have already taken a lot more physics and math than me

Or would it suffice if I got A's (or close to top of the class) in grad-level Electrodynamics and Quantum mechanics this fall?

Also, if its not too late, how can someone like me pick up the necessary math? Would I have to self-teach myself all of it?

Of course it is not late at all. Start with these useful notes :-) You pick up what is necessary along the way as and when necessary. Self-learning is a part (a large part of!) graduate school. But there should be QFT courses that you can take officially.

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/string.html

yenchin said:
Of course it is not late at all. Start with these useful notes :-) You pick up what is necessary along the way as and when necessary. Self-learning is a part (a large part of!) graduate school. But there should be QFT courses that you can take officially.

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/string.html

Maybe 'too late' isn't the concern as much as whether I can even get into a research group in QFT or string theory at all? I think students here are expected to get into a research group by the end of their 2nd year, and of course, there's lots of competition for the few slots available. Most of my competitors probably have already taken lots of proof-based math and/or grad-level physics.

creepypasta13 said:
Maybe 'too late' isn't the concern as much as whether I can even get into a research group in QFT or string theory at all? I think students here are expected to get into a research group by the end of their 2nd year, and of course, there's lots of competition for the few slots available. Most of my competitors probably have already taken lots of proof-based math and/or grad-level physics.

This is mainly a function of whether or not there's a person/group at your institution that does the kind of research you're interested in. If there is, well then as soon as you can, arrange to go meet with him or her and discuss your situation.

Between now and then, the best thing you can do is probably just to read up on the areas which interest you, especially string theory as this one is less accessible. If possible, find out what specific research your mentor is interested in and try to read some of his or her papers so that you can have an intelligent conversation.

You seem to have the impression that everyone that studies theoretical physics is a prodigy who took all graduate physics courses as an undergrad, has a complete mastery of mathematics, and probably already knows a lot about string theory. I don't think this is the case, and having taken at least some proof based courses is the most important part. As long as you're familiar with the language and methodology of modern mathematics, you can pick things up on your own. At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it much. Just talk to who you want to work with when you get the chance.

Just a brief bit of advice- on top of thinking about getting into string/QFT you should also ask yourself "what are my long term goals?"

If your goal is to eventually land a paying job doing scientific research, you might want to look at something with more industry demand. Condensed matter theory also requires a great deal of quantum-field-theory, but if you study silicon you can get a good job doing science if the academic route doesn't work out.

Ask any prospective advisor what their former students are doing. If most of them work in finance or insurance, that's the likely path for you as well. Ask any older graduate students in the group what their job prospects are like.

Nabeshin said:
Between now and then, the best thing you can do is probably just to read up on the areas which interest you, especially string theory as this one is less accessible. If possible, find out what specific research your mentor is interested in and try to read some of his or her papers so that you can have an intelligent conversation.

You seem to have the impression that everyone that studies theoretical physics is a prodigy who took all graduate physics courses as an undergrad, has a complete mastery of mathematics, and probably already knows a lot about string theory. I don't think this is the case, and having taken at least some proof based courses is the most important part. As long as you're familiar with the language and methodology of modern mathematics, you can pick things up on your own. At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it much. Just talk to who you want to work with when you get the chance.

I know not everyone is a prodigy. I just figured the competition is stiff for the few openings, and the other students will have already taken a lot more math and physics than I completed during my undergrad.

Besides reading about their research, what else should I do during my time until school starts? Master my undergrad physics and just get a head-start on grad-level EM and QM, and not worry about the advanced math yet?

1. What is string theory and quantum field theory (QFT)?

String theory and quantum field theory are two distinct but related theoretical frameworks in physics. String theory attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces) by describing all particles as tiny strings instead of point-like particles. QFT, on the other hand, is a framework for describing the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. Is it too late to get into string theory/QFT?

No, it is not too late to get into string theory or QFT. While these fields have been extensively studied for several decades, there is still much to be discovered and understood. As a scientist, it is never too late to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in these fields.

3. What are the practical applications of string theory/QFT?

Currently, there are no direct practical applications of string theory or QFT. However, these fields have provided valuable insights into the behavior of particles and the nature of the universe, which may eventually lead to technological advancements in the future.

4. What are the challenges in studying string theory/QFT?

One major challenge in studying string theory and QFT is the complexity of the mathematics involved. These theories require advanced mathematical techniques and can be difficult to understand. Additionally, the lack of experimental evidence for string theory poses a challenge in testing and validating its predictions.

5. Can I still contribute to string theory/QFT if I am not a theoretical physicist?

Yes, there are many ways to contribute to string theory and QFT even if you are not a theoretical physicist. Experimental physicists can help gather data to test the predictions of these theories, while mathematicians can provide valuable insights and techniques for solving complex equations. Additionally, anyone can contribute to the discussion and development of these theories through research and collaboration.