Top Undergrad Engineering (specifically mechanical, electrical, and chemical)

In summary, the top programs for engineering are MIT, UC-Berkley, and Stanford. Other highly ranked schools include Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech, and the University of Texas at Austin. Some personal tips for getting into these programs include joining student organizations, getting recommendation letters, and applying in the spring. Harvey Mudd is also a highly ranked undergraduate engineering program, but it is a liberal arts school and does not offer PhDs like some of the other top programs. Overall, there are both PhD and non-PhD schools that offer excellent engineering programs, with MIT having the top ranked graduate program and Mudd having the highest ranked undergraduate program among schools without PhDs.
sadakaa
The top programs AFTER:

MIT
UC-Berkley
Stanford

i goofed off my freshman and sophmore years of HS, but have picked it up now, so I'm looking for engineering. I know Vanderbilt stacks up in the top 10, but I'm not sure which other programs are good. If you can, post some of your experiences as well!

Physics news on Phys.org
Caltech...

I hear GIT is very good.

Georgia Tech has a good program

Ut at austin is rather good.

sadakka, iv got some inside knowledge for you my friend. I basically started out just like you. I was a Ginormous screw up in high school and didnt apply myself WHAT SO EVER. My highest level of math coming out of HS was algebra (didnt touch trig, pre-cal, cal, NOTHING) I enrolled in a local community college where I began to take my life serious. I got all of my basics out of the way like eng, gov, hist, soci, arts, and as much math as I could do. A year and a half later I was accepted to the University of Texas at Austin with a 3.5(I think). However I wasnt accepted to the school of engineering(due to my lack of math) like I wanted but the school of liberal arts. I am now just a few credits short of transferring to Aerospace Engineering with a pretty respectable GPA. As much as I hate the saying "If, I can do it, you can" its so true in this case. Just two years ago I was taking shots of dads vodka in HS biology and coming to school blown out of my mind. Now I am about to be a proud student of the #7(I beleive) Aerospace Engineering school in the nation.

BIG THINGS THAT HELPED ME!
1) I joined student government at my community college (looks great)

2) member of Phi theta kappa which is a junior college honor society (looks better, you need a 3.5)

3) got recommendation letters (using my student government resources) from a number of professors and advisors including UT graduates.

4) applied in the spring (I didnt have to compete with all the highs chool kids applying for fall)

Hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know. Keep those grades up .

I think Harvey Mudd has the top ranked engineering program.

Wow, that is embarrassing...I COMPLETELY misread your topic. I was under the impression you had screwed up in high school and were trying to get into a 4 years school via a community college.

*note to self* READ TOPICS TWICE FROM NOW ON

proton said:
I think Harvey Mudd has the top ranked engineering program.

Pretty sure MIT's got that spot

Last edited:
nope,
MIT has the top ranked graduate engineering

Mudd's got the top arnked undergraduate engineering.

pakmingki said:
Mudd's got the top arnked undergraduate engineering.

It has the highest ranked undergraduate program among schools which do not offer a PhD. There's a tremendous difference.

- Warren

Last edited:
UCLA and U Toronto, I believe

chroot said:
It has the highest ranked undergraduate program among schools which do not offer a PhD. There's a tremendous difference.

- Warren

that is a good point.

but still, you can't go wrong with mudd either way.

pakmingki said:
that is a good point.

but still, you can't go wrong with mudd either way.

Of course you can. Frankly, there are better schools. Many of them.

- Warren

chroot said:
Of course you can. Frankly, there are better schools. Many of them.

- Warren

Many? Perhaps a handful, if that.

Harvey Mudd is a Liberal Arts school... they require 1/3 of your classes to be a liberal art.

Ki Man said:
Harvey Mudd is a Liberal Arts school... they require 1/3 of your classes to be a liberal art.
yea, but its still a top notch engineering school.

pakmingki said:
yea, but its still a top notch engineering school.

no, sorry, there are two hierarchies, schools that offer PhDs and schools that don't. you're either in the minors or in the majors, that's the way it is.

I'm sure Austin is better, CalTech, Michigan, Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Columbia, Cornell...yeah I'm sure Mudd measures up well to these monster schools who get way more funding, have way more research oppurtunities, etc, etc.

Uh, yeah, it does "measure up."

you honestly think it measures up to Caltech and Harvard? where groundbreaking research is going on, where the students get top notch internships? i haven't heard anything coming from Mudd, oh yeah, because they don't offer PhD's. sorry, ask anyone who knows anything, Mudd isn't the best, it might be a top 20 program, but those other 19 programs probably offer PhD's and hence get more funding, better instructors, more prestige, more companies recruiting from their campus, etc.

oh, FANTASTIC ARGUMENT you gave. you really came with the goods.

I don't claim to know anything about Mudd engineering, but I do know that Mudd has hardcore awesome math, physics, and computer science departments. I have no doubt its engineering program is also hardcore awesome.

And we're talking undergrad here. Obviously the kids don't come out with doctorates... Also, I really don't know how the research opportunities of these various schools compare, but you can learn more about Mudd engineering here since it doesn't appear that you really know what you're talking about.

http://www.sandiego.edu/engineering/news_events/news_details/cbeng06.pdf has a copy of the US News results. It looks like Mudd would be tied for sixth place if you lump the Ph.D. and non-Ph.D. schools together.

I hope it's clear to everyone that there is a *huge* difference between a 4.4 and a 4.5 or a 4.3 here. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the top undergraduate engineering programs in the United States?

The top undergraduate engineering programs in the United States are currently ranked by US News and World Report as follows: 1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)2. Stanford University3. University of California-Berkeley4. California Institute of Technology (Caltech)5. Georgia Institute of Technology6. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor7. University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign8. Purdue University-West Lafayette9. Carnegie Mellon University10. University of Texas-Austin

What is the difference between mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems such as machines, engines, and tools. Electrical engineering is concerned with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism to develop and improve electrical systems and devices. Chemical engineering involves the use of chemistry, physics, and biology to design and operate processes that produce useful materials, such as pharmaceuticals, fuels, and plastics.

What are the typical job opportunities for graduates with a degree in mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering?

Graduates with a degree in mechanical engineering can find employment in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, and manufacturing. Some common job titles include mechanical engineer, design engineer, and project engineer. Electrical engineering graduates can find jobs in industries such as communications, power generation, and electronics manufacturing. Job titles may include electrical engineer, systems engineer, and control engineer. Chemical engineering graduates can work in fields such as biotechnology, environmental engineering, and food and beverage production. Job titles may include chemical engineer, process engineer, and research scientist.

What types of courses are typically included in a mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering program?

In a mechanical engineering program, students can expect to take courses in subjects such as thermodynamics, mechanics, materials science, and design. Electrical engineering programs typically include courses in circuit analysis, digital systems, electromagnetics, and signal processing. Chemical engineering programs may include courses in chemistry, chemical reactions, process design, and transport phenomena.

What skills are important for success in a mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering career?

Some important skills for success in any engineering career include problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail. In addition, mechanical engineers should have strong analytical and design skills, while electrical engineers should have a solid understanding of circuitry and electronics. Chemical engineers should have a strong foundation in chemistry and be able to apply mathematical and scientific principles to solve problems in process design and operation.