Thermodynamics of gas in very strong gravitational field.

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a strong vertical gravitational force on a cylinder of gas and the potential for a temperature difference between the upper and lower halves of the cylinder. It also mentions a possible connection to the Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Suppose I have a cylinder of gas and at time t=0 I can turn on a strong vertical gravitational force. Let the force change quickly (but a time long compared the mean free path divided by the average gas particle velocity) to reach some constant maximum value F(z,t) = F_max. (This force can be approximately produced by putting the cylinder in a centrifuge that rapidly spins up to some max RPM.)

Can I argue that for very strong force F_max the gas in the upper half of the cylinder will expand and the gas in the lower half of the tube will compress so that there should initially be a temperature difference between the gas in top and the bottom of the cylinder? Is this in effect part of the physics behind the Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube?

Thanks for any help!

Science news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
Can I argue that for very strong force F_max the gas in the upper half of the cylinder will expand and the gas in the lower half of the tube will compress so that there should initially be a temperature difference between the gas in top and the bottom of the cylinder?
Sure.
Spinnor said:
Is this in effect part of the physics behind the Ranque-Hilsch vortex tube?
It is related I think.

Likes Spinnor

1. What is the main principle of thermodynamics in a strong gravitational field?

The main principle is that the laws of thermodynamics still apply, but the effects of gravity must also be taken into account. This means that the energy and entropy of a gas in a strong gravitational field will be affected by the presence of a strong gravitational force.

2. How does gravity affect the behavior of a gas in a strong gravitational field?

In a strong gravitational field, the gas particles will experience a stronger force of gravity, causing them to compress and increase in density. This leads to an increase in temperature and pressure within the gas.

3. Can the laws of thermodynamics be applied to gases in black holes?

Yes, the laws of thermodynamics still apply even in the extreme conditions of a black hole. However, the effects of gravity and the event horizon must be taken into account when analyzing the behavior of gases in this environment.

4. How does the thermodynamic behavior of gases change near a black hole's event horizon?

As a gas gets closer to a black hole's event horizon, the effects of gravity become stronger and the gas becomes more compressed and heated. At the event horizon, the gas will experience infinite temperature and pressure, making it impossible to analyze using traditional thermodynamic principles.

5. Are there any practical applications for understanding the thermodynamics of gases in strong gravitational fields?

Yes, understanding how gases behave in strong gravitational fields can have practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and space travel. It can also help us better understand the behavior of matter in extreme environments and improve our understanding of the universe.