Forum Topics of Interest: Tracking User Engagement

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter john101
  • Start date
In summary, the forum allows users to see what topics are currently being discussed, as well as follow other users. The "hot" label has been phased out, and the "top content" tab filters the results to show only threads that meet several quality or activity requirements.
john101
I would like it if I could see easily what the topics of interest are on the forum.

eg a hot button next to topics. ?Once the read, post numbers is analysed a button/banner next to the topic is lit.

When the topic fades out of sight the read number provides a cut off point where the hot button is switched off.

number of guests, anonymous and visible are listed at the bottom of every page.

a page(s) that lists all topics currently being viewed, and by whom. Say a 5 min snapshot. This way you can follow people knowing they might lead you to something you didn't know.*

I find that when I spend more time on the forum this is the info I need in order to visit previously unknown trains of thought.

edit add : that* sounds a bit odd. I obviously mean that in a pure way. I guess people that deserve to be taken seriously can choose to log on as visible. I think listening to a particular person generally and in particular topics is a good thing. I don't see how that can be misused.

add 2 : there's an interesting analogy here. There's a principle in running a shop. The more customers are seen to be in a shop the more customers end up being in the shop. The more people in the shop the more opinions can guide the format but importantly the more people the more likely people of caliber will read it and possibly teach.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PF is based on XenForo software so its unlikely that your suggested changes will be implemented unless they become aware of them.

Sometimes these topic features are implemented as tag clouds where the font size determines the relative number of posts or threads used that topic/keyword.

Likes Evo
Do you know all the features the forum has already?

We have a list of all threads with recent posts - hot topics tend to be on top, naturally.
We have featured threads - manually selected threads with good discussions or important news.
You can https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads and https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/forums you are interested in.
You can https://www.physicsforums.com/unanswered/threads.
john101 said:
This way you can follow people
We decided to not have that. Some users don't want to be followed like that. There is a "follow this user" function, but it doesn't show you which threads the user is looking at.

Likes Evo and jedishrfu
The "hot" label has been phased out of modern software because it didn't really tell much. It just appeared when a number of replies was reached.

Have you looked at "Who's Online"?
https://www.physicsforums.com/online/

The active members and guests per topic is interesting, but it requires a lot of resources and in the end we have hundreds of thousands of topics so people are quite spread out.

btw, also have you used the "Top Content" tab at the top of the thread list in each forum?

Greg Bernhardt said:
btw, also have you used the "Top Content" tab at the top of the thread list in each forum?
I'd missed that. I'm off to check it out... :smile:

berkeman said:
I'd missed that. I'm off to check it out... :smile:
It filters the results to show only threads that meet several quality or activity requirements.

Thank you. I find I can see most of what I want to see in the various links provided. Quite neatly too.

I see number of views is not there but in top content I can sort in various ways.

In the current visitors list: can the pic/avatar/thumbnail be dispensed with and the type of visitor be inline with the 'viewing thread ...' so that each page can have many more listings.

OK, I am content.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Greg Bernhardt

What is the purpose of tracking user engagement?

Tracking user engagement allows us to understand how users interact with a forum and what topics are most interesting to them. This information can help us improve the forum and tailor content to better engage users.

How is user engagement measured?

User engagement can be measured through various metrics such as number of views, number of comments, time spent on a topic, and number of shares. These metrics can be tracked through analytics tools and help us understand which topics are most engaging to users.

Why is it important to track user engagement?

Tracking user engagement is important because it helps us understand what content resonates with our audience and what topics may need improvement. It also allows us to identify trends and patterns in user behavior, which can inform our content strategy and improve overall user satisfaction.

What are some strategies for improving user engagement?

Some strategies for improving user engagement include creating compelling and relevant content, encouraging user participation through polls or discussions, and regularly monitoring and responding to user comments and feedback. It's also important to regularly analyze engagement metrics and adjust content accordingly.

How can tracking user engagement benefit a business or organization?

Tracking user engagement can benefit a business or organization by providing valuable insights into customer behavior and preferences. This information can be used to improve products or services, target marketing efforts, and ultimately increase customer satisfaction and loyalty.