What are the properties of open sets in X x Y for a continuous projection map?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the continuity of a map and the preimage of open and closed sets. The focus is on finding a way to generalize open sets in X x Y and showing that some particular sets are open. It is suggested to consider the projection map p: X x Y -> X, where the preimage of a set \{x\} is \{x\} x Y.
sparkster
I'm trying to prove some stuff that involves the projection map, say p:X x Y ->X. But I need to know if it's continuous. If a map is continuous, then the preimage of a open/closed set is open/closed.

The problem is, what do open sets in X x Y look like? I know what the basis elements are, and the open sets would be arbitrary unions and finite intersections, but is there any way to generalize?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know all open sets, you just need to show that some particular sets are open.

Well, yeah, but I thought that if there was a way to list all the open sets, that would take care of it.

Ok, if I take p(A) to be open, I need to show that the preimage is open. The preimage would be A x B, where A is open in X. If B is open, then I'm done. But if B is closed, I don't know what to do.

So [tex]p: X \times Y \to X[/tex] and [tex]p((x,y)) = x[/tex]. But now think about it what sets will give you [tex]\{x\}[/tex] as an image? [tex]p((x,y)) = x[/tex] for all [tex]y \in Y[/tex]. So [tex]p^{-1}(\{x\}) = \{x\} \times Y[/tex]. I think you can take it from there.

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and the relationships between objects within that space. It is concerned with the study of continuity, connectedness, and boundaries.

What is a projection map?

A projection map is a mathematical function that maps points from one space onto another space. It is used to transform a higher-dimensional space onto a lower-dimensional one, often preserving certain geometric properties.

What are the different types of topology?

There are several types of topology, including point-set topology, algebraic topology, differential topology, and geometric topology. Each type focuses on different aspects of space and has its own set of tools and techniques for studying them.

How is topology used in science?

Topology is used in many different scientific fields such as physics, biology, computer science, and engineering. It helps to model and understand complex systems, analyze data, and solve problems in a wide range of disciplines.

What are some real-world applications of topology?

Topology has many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, data analysis, network design, and navigation systems. It is also used in fields like economics, social sciences, and medicine to study patterns and relationships in complex systems.