Can You See Torch Light in Space?

In summary, it is true that in space (or in vacuum), you would not be able to see the torch light unless you point it directly at your eyes. This is because there would be nothing for the light to reflect off of. Additionally, the concept of "seeing" light can be debated, as light is the means by which we see other objects. The verb "to see" can be applied to both the illuminated object and the source of the light, depending on the context. However, it is accepted that photons must hit the eyeball in order for us to see. In terms of energy supply and conversions, the torch bulb is continually supplied with a larger amount of energy while the reflector receives a smaller amount from the torch
jobyts
Is it true to say, in space (or in vaccum), you wouldn't be able to see the torch light, unless you point it to your eyes?

Science news on Phys.org
Since there would be nothing for the light to reflect off of, that would be correct.

edited

Lol. That makes more sense. Thanks for the translation

Last edited:
Hunterbender said:
Doc Al is right, I guess I will just elaborate more on it.

In order to have fire, you need air. Since outer space is consider to be a vacuum (for all practical purposes), you won't have fire (hence no torch).

I don't get the eye portion. Personally, I don't think you can light it even if you point it to your eyes (or any part of the human body for that matter)

I believe he means a torch in the British sense, which is known to Americans as a Flashlight.

jshuford said:
I believe he means a torch in the British sense, which is known to Americans as a Flashlight.

Thank you. :blushing:

Hunterbender said:
I don't get the eye portion. Personally, I don't think you can light it even if you point it to your eyes (or any part of the human body for that matter)

Good point. We don't "see" light. Light is the means by which we see other objects. However a terminology problem arises when light from a light source is entering directly into you eyes without first reflecting off of something else. If we continue the logic of the term "see" then "seeing light" should only apply to a situation where light from source A reflects off light from source B allowing us to "see" light from source B. That's fiction.

However, looking directly into a light source is an undeniable light-eye interaction. You're doing it right now. If we don't "see" light, then are you unable to "see" most of your computer screen? If, on the other hand, we propose that all we ever "see" is light, then how are we aware of the objects all around us?

It's opening a can of words. Better to just accept the fact that the verb "to see" can be applied alternately to the illuminated and the illuminant, depending on the context, despite the dissonant logic.

zoobyshoe said:
Good point. We don't "see" light. Light is the means by which we see other objects. However a terminology problem arises when light from a light source is entering directly into you eyes without first reflecting off of something else. If we continue the logic of the term "see" then "seeing light" should only apply to a situation where light from source A reflects off light from source B allowing us to "see" light from source B. That's fiction.

However, looking directly into a light source is an undeniable light-eye interaction. You're doing it right now. If we don't "see" light, then are you unable to "see" most of your computer screen? If, on the other hand, we propose that all we ever "see" is light, then how are we aware of the objects all around us?

It's opening a can of words. Better to just accept the fact that the verb "to see" can be applied alternately to the illuminated and the illuminant, depending on the context, despite the dissonant logic.

This post was way too philosophical, I think. We see when photons hit the eyeball. We don't see light from a flashlight in space because there are no particles for photons to bounce off of, so if it's not pointing towards the eyes those photons will never reach the eyeball.

Steely Dan said:
This post was way too philosophical, I think. We see when photons hit the eyeball. We don't see light from a flashlight in space because there are no particles for photons to bounce off of, so if it's not pointing towards the eyes those photons will never reach the eyeball.
It was worth it for the line :"It's opening a can of words." You watch: in a year everyone will be saying that.

But the reflector is itself a photon emitter-photons are absorbed from the source and some regenerated as the reflected photons

Dadface said:
But the reflector is itself a photon emitter-photons are absorbed from the source and some regenerated as the reflected photons

Then my question becomes: to what extent can we consider all visible objects to be photon emitters?

zoobyshoe said:
Then my question becomes: to what extent can we consider all visible objects to be photon emitters?

Now isn't that what dark matter comes down to? What potential object within the universe fails to serve as a photon emitter, which is the fundamental question of the MACHO-hunters (which had been discredited by a majority of physicists)

Tough question, which I highly doubt anyone knows the answer to (at the moment)

A possible way to answer zoobyshoes question is in terms of energy supply and conversions.The torch bulb is continually being supplied by a relatively large amount energy input all the time while the battery lasts whilst the supply to the reflector originates from the torch bulb and is very much smaller by comparison.

1. Can Torch Light Be Seen in the Vacuum of Space?

Yes, torch light can be seen in the vacuum of space. However, it is important to note that light behaves differently in space compared to Earth due to the absence of an atmosphere.

2. How Far Can Torch Light Be Seen in Space?

The distance that torch light can be seen in space depends on the strength of the light source and the sensitivity of the observer's eyes. In general, the light would become too faint to be seen at distances beyond a few kilometers.

3. Does Torch Light Travel Forever in Space?

No, torch light does not travel forever in space. Like all forms of light, it travels at a finite speed and eventually dissipates over time. The amount of time it takes for light to dissipate depends on various factors such as the intensity of the light and the medium it is traveling through.

4. Can Torch Light Be Seen in the Dark Void of Space?

Yes, torch light can be seen in the dark void of space. However, it would only be visible to the human eye if there were objects or particles for the light to reflect off of. In the absence of any objects, the light would not be visible to the naked eye.

5. Is There a Limit to How Bright Torch Light Can Be Seen in Space?

Yes, there is a limit to how bright torch light can be seen in space. This is because light can only travel at a certain speed and eventually dissipates, so there is a limit to how far it can reach and how bright it can appear to an observer.