1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and Velocity

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An Atwood Machine consists of two masses m1 and m2 attached to each other by a single massless string passing over a cylindrical pulley of mass M without slipping. The masses are released from rest, and allowed to accelerate until each has moved a distance h = 1.8 m. Assuming that upwards is positive, rank the velocity of m2 (from most negative to most positive) at this moment for the following cases:
    Case A: m1 = 21 kg, m2 = 16 kg, M = 28 kg

Case B: m1 = 13 kg, m2 = 16 kg, M = 31 kg

Case C: m1 = 25 kg, m2 = 16 kg, M = 26 kg

Case D: m1 = 18 kg, m2 = 16 kg, M = 34 kg

Case E: m1 = 17 kg, m2 = 16 kg, M = 33 kg

prob15a.gif
    2. Relevant equations
    sum of the torques = I*alpha
    vf^2 = vi^2 + 2a (yf - yi)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did a free body diagram of the cylinder. I did sum of the Torques = I(alpha). I found that the acceleration was equal to
    a = [2g(m1+m2)]/M

Then I used a constant acceleration equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2a(yf-yi). I said the initial velocity is 0, I substituted [2g(m1+m2)]/M in for a, I said that yf is the height change (1.8 m) and yi is 0.
    I simplified this to say Vf = the square root of [4gh(m1+m2)]/M

I plugged in the values for the examples A through E. I made B a negative velocity because mass 2 is heavier so it would go down.

My ranking was B<D=E<A<C
    Thanks for helping :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted