Torque is defined about a point?

In summary, torque is defined about a point, not specifically about an axis, but can also be calculated about an axis by taking into account the point of application of the force. This definition allows for the measurement of both the magnitude and direction of the rotation caused by a force. However, in cases where the torque is zero, it is not possible to specify an axis, so defining torque solely about an axis can lead to the assumption that torque is non-zero everywhere. Therefore, it is preferable to reserve torque for the twisting action about an axis, while using moment for bending.
miko1977
Hello guys

My question is simple but it really bugs me! Why we must define a torque about a POINT? In most of the textbooks i checked they define torque about an Axis. In wikipwdia though it is defined about a point. As a matter of fact it mentions:
"Torque is defined about a point not specifically about axis as mentioned in several books."
What is the diffrence between the two definitions?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this...

Take the axis of your situation and calculate the torque about various points on it. What is the different between calculating with respect to the different points on the axis?

Hi,

As far as I know torque N is defined as:

N=r x F

Where F is the force and r is the vector from the origin to place the force attaches. (i.e. where you apply the force). Obviously you can superpose forces to get sums of torques.

In this definition no axis is explicitely named. There is a point that is explicitly named (namely the origin). Thus the torque is defined about the origin (a point).

However the reason for this definition is exactly that the torque vector gives you a measure of the rotation the force will cause and also the axis of the rotation. The magnitude gives you the measure (not in the measure theoretic sense of the word) and the direction gives you the axis of rotation.

This is actually not completely true because the torque could be 0. In that case we really can't speak of any axis at all since the vector doesn't really specify any direction. So we need to define the torque around a point for that case.

Sorry my friend! I don't understand what you are trying to say. Can you explain please?

Hi my friend.

Thanks for the explanation, it enlightened me! I don't fully understand your last statement though.

Hi,

Good

If it's still a bit fuzzy here's a summary (point (1) was made before me and it's the important one).The two points raised were essentially:(1) (goes for points with nonzero torque) Per point the axis of rotation varies, but you could definitely have two points with the same axis of rotation. Thus specifying an axis does not specify a point, but specifying a point automatically specifies an axis.

(2) When the Torque is zero the vector is the zero vector but there are infinitely many lines in Euclidian 3-space that go through any point in particular (0,0,0). So you need two points to specify a line (axis). If there is no Torque there is no line, but we should still be able to find out that torque is zero. So trying to define torque everywhere by only giving an axis would imply torque is non-zero everywhere which need not be the case.

Great explanation! Thanks.

There is some confusion about what is meant by torque and moment that has existed since the terms were first introduced nearly two centuries ago.

Exact definitions have varied depending upon which source you read or quote.

Personally I prefer to reserve torque for the twisting action about an axis for two reasons.

Firstly because that is consistent with engineering use for torsion and for shaft torque in a machine.
This allows the revolution angle to exceed 360 so torque can be referred to engine speed in rpm or whatever.
Using torque for torsion allows moment to be reserved for bending.
Finally using torque about an axis allows the transfer of twisting action along a shaft as in say a screwdriver.

go well

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is represented by the symbol "τ" and is measured in units of newton-meters (N·m) in the SI system.

How is torque defined about a point?

Torque is defined as the product of the applied force and the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Mathematically, it can be expressed as τ = F x r, where F is the force and r is the distance.

What is the difference between torque and force?

Torque and force are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. While force is a push or pull on an object, torque is a measure of the force's ability to rotate an object around an axis. Torque takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance from the point of rotation.

How is torque affected by the point of rotation?

The point of rotation, also known as the pivot point or axis of rotation, plays a crucial role in determining the magnitude of torque. The farther the point of rotation is from the point where the force is applied, the greater the torque will be. This is because a larger distance results in a greater lever arm, which increases the torque.

What are some real-life examples of torque?

Torque is present in many everyday situations, such as opening a door, using a wrench to loosen a bolt, or riding a bicycle. In these cases, the applied force causes the object to rotate around a point, resulting in a torque. Torque is also an important concept in machines and engines, where it is used to generate and control rotational motion.