1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torsional oscillator

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm new here so id just like to say hello my name is John.

Anyway, I'm writing a lab report on a torsional oscillator with magnetic dampers, and I'd like to know some historical background on natural frequencies and damping. Does anyone know who the first physicist to study oscillation was? I thought it would be Hooke, but I'm not sure. Also the first physicist to study damped harmonic motion would be cool. Lastly, a list of all the applications of natural frequency would be help my report with a more globalized perspective (mainly modern stuff like oscillations of atoms in metals or something). Any information or a good website link would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2
    The earliest recorded research is by Galileo, early to mid-17'th century. Another early researcher is Huygens, mid- to late 17th century.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook