Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total column water calculation from radiosonde data

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    hello,
    i want to calculate total column water from a radiosonde station data. data are relative humidity, pressure and temperature in various altitude. my course is not physics or meteorology. please help me. is there a free software?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As your sonde gains altitude, you're going to be sampling a variety of air masses moving in a variety of directions, i.e., generating a meaningless number. Do you have some more specific purpose you can give us?

4. Jul 17, 2015 #3
    I estimate precipitable water vapor with a GPS receiver and i want to Compare with radiosonde PWV.
    I think that i must calculate Precipitable water vapor in the interval of two altitude and then integrate them (in radiosonde data)

5. Jul 17, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Convert relative humidity to vapor pressure as a function of altitude, and you should get what you're after once you sum/integrate over whatever altitude interval is of interest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook