Total column water calculation from radiosonde data

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of total column water from radiosonde station data, with the speaker seeking help and a free software for this task. They mention their specific purpose of estimating precipitable water vapor and comparing it with radiosonde data. The other person suggests converting relative humidity to vapor pressure and summing/integrating over a specific altitude interval to obtain the desired result.
saeed_abbasy79
hello,
i want to calculate total column water from a radiosonde station data. data are relative humidity, pressure and temperature in various altitude. my course is not physics or meteorology. please help me. is there a free software?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
As your sonde gains altitude, you're going to be sampling a variety of air masses moving in a variety of directions, i.e., generating a meaningless number. Do you have some more specific purpose you can give us?

I estimate precipitable water vapor with a GPS receiver and i want to Compare with radiosonde PWV.
I think that i must calculate Precipitable water vapor in the interval of two altitude and then integrate them (in radiosonde data)

Convert relative humidity to vapor pressure as a function of altitude, and you should get what you're after once you sum/integrate over whatever altitude interval is of interest.

Likes saeed_abbasy79

1. How do you calculate total column water from radiosonde data?

Total column water can be calculated by integrating the water vapor density measurements from the surface of the earth to the top of the atmosphere. This integration can be done using the trapezoidal rule or other numerical methods.

2. What instruments are used to measure total column water from radiosonde data?

The most commonly used instrument is the radiosonde, which is a balloon-borne device that measures atmospheric parameters such as temperature, pressure, and relative humidity. Other instruments, such as GPS receivers and microwave radiometers, can also be used to measure total column water.

3. What is the importance of calculating total column water from radiosonde data?

Total column water is a crucial parameter for understanding and studying the Earth's water cycle and its impact on weather and climate. It can also provide valuable information for forecasting precipitation, droughts, and floods.

4. What are the sources of error in calculating total column water from radiosonde data?

The accuracy of total column water calculations depends on the accuracy of the individual measurements of temperature, pressure, and humidity. Other sources of error include instrument malfunction, data processing errors, and uncertainties in the atmospheric conditions.

5. How can total column water data from radiosonde be used in climate research?

Total column water data can be used to study long-term trends and variability in the Earth's water cycle, which is crucial for understanding the impacts of climate change. It can also help improve climate models and predictions of future climate scenarios.