Total energy at zero rest mass

In summary: The equation E^2=\left(mc^2\right)^2+\left(pc\right)^2 suggests that a particle may have energy and momentum even when it has no rest mass, and that the total energy then is E=pc. This strikes me as odd, since the relativistic momentum of a particle is given by p=\gamma mv, which is zero when the rest mass is zero. But that must mean that for a particle with rest mass zero, E=pc must also be zero, and that a particle with zero rest mass can not have energy and momentum, but this is false, because photons are particles with energy and no rest mass.
espen180
According to my physics textbook, the equation [tex]E^2=\left(mc^2\right)^2+\left(pc\right)^2[/tex] suggests that a particle may have energy and momentum even when it has no rest mass, and that the total energy then is [tex]E=pc[/tex]. This strikes me as odd, since the relativistic momentum of a particle is given by [tex]p=\gamma mv[/tex], which is zero when the rest mass is zero. But that must mean that for a particle with rest mass zero, [tex]E=pc[/tex] must also be zero, and that a particle with zero rest mass can not have energy and momentum, but this is false, because photons are particles with energy and no rest mass.

If anyone would explain this to me, I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi espen180! :smile:

(have a gamma: γ :wink:)
espen180 said:
… the relativistic momentum of a particle is given by [tex]p=\gamma mv[/tex], which is zero when the rest mass is zero. But that must mean that for a particle with rest mass zero, [tex]E=pc[/tex] must also be zero …

Why do you think that γmc = 0 when m = 0?

At the speed of light, γ = ∞, so γmc doesn't have to be 0. :wink:

espen180 said:
the relativistic momentum of a particle is given by [tex]p=\gamma mv[/tex], which is zero when the rest mass is zero

...and v < c. If m = 0 and v = c, that formula gives p = 0/0 which is undefined. Therefore that formula doesn't apply to photons. The general energy-mass-momentum relationship, on the other hand, has no such trouble because it doesn't include the velocity explicitly.

tiny-tim said:
Why do you think that γmc = 0 when m = 0?
At the speed of light, γ = ∞, so γmc doesn't have to be 0. :wink:

∞ times 0 is 42, isn't it?

Phrak said:
∞ times 0 is 42, isn't it?

Wasn't that 6X9 :confused:

jtbell said:
...and v < c. If m = 0 and v = c, that formula gives p = 0/0 which is undefined. Therefore that formula doesn't apply to photons. The general energy-mass-momentum relationship, on the other hand, has no such trouble because it doesn't include the velocity explicitly.

I see. What does the Energy-mass-momentum relationship look like? Isn't that the formula I included above?

You mean this one?
espen180 said:
[tex]E^2=\left(mc^2\right)^2+\left(pc\right)^2[/tex]
That's it all right...

espen180 said:
According to my physics textbook, the equation [tex]E^2=\left(mc^2\right)^2+\left(pc\right)^2[/tex] suggests that a particle may have energy and momentum even when it has no rest mass, and that the total energy then is [tex]E=pc[/tex]. This strikes me as odd, since the relativistic momentum of a particle is given by [tex]p=\gamma mv[/tex], which is zero when the rest mass is zero. But that must mean that for a particle with rest mass zero, [tex]E=pc[/tex] must also be zero, and that a particle with zero rest mass can not have energy and momentum, but this is false, because photons are particles with energy and no rest mass..
Not quite true.
p = γm0v = βγm0c
so pc = βγm0c2 = (E2 - m0c2)1/2
so pc = E when m0c2=0
[βγ goes to infinity as m0c2 goes to zero]
α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

Just to say it a bit more clearly: The formula [itex]\vec p=\gamma m\vec v[/itex] only holds for massive particles, while [itex]E^2=m^2c^4+\vec p^2c^2[/itex] holds for all particles. It even holds for tachyons ([itex]m^2<0[/itex]), but they probably don't exist anyway, so that's less relevant.

Thanks for clearing it up, guys! :)

EDIT:

But since infinity x zero is undefined, do we have to go via quantum physics and use pc=hf instead?

espen180 said:
Thanks for clearing it up, guys! :)

EDIT:

But since infinity x zero is undefined, do we have to go via quantum physics and use pc=hf instead?

You can if you wish. You could also simply write down E = pc.

If a particle has zero rest mass, does it mean that the particle is a photon?

laeiy said:

Neutrinos "may" be massless, not sure yet. That's about all I can think of right now.

laeiy said:
Hi laeiy, welcome to PF!

No, gluons also have 0 rest mass.

espen180 said:

It's not that it's undefined, it's that it's an informal verbal expression describing a limit that has to be evaluated properly. When you evaluate the limit properly, you get a well-defined real number. (Have you had calculus?) For example, [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right)(\sin x)[/itex] has a well-defined value of 1. You can also describe that limit informally as [itex]\infty \cdot 0[/itex], but that just means you've stripped out the information that would be needed in order to actually evaluate the limit. When you strip out the information in this way, the resulting "stripped-down" description is called an indeterminate form: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminate_form

No, you don't need quantum mechanics to resolve the issue.

Matterwave said:
Neutrinos "may" be massless, not sure yet. That's about all I can think of right now.

Nope. Or, strictly, no more than one of the three neutrino mass states may have a mass of zero. We know that this is necessarily the case because of neutrino mixing. There's an observable quantity known as the mixing length which depends on the difference between the squares of the masses of the mass states involved in the mixing. Different mixing processes have been show to have two significantly different mixing lengths, requiring no fewer than three different masses.

atyy said:
Wasn't that 6X9 :confused:

Only in base 13. :wink:

1. What is total energy at zero rest mass?

Total energy at zero rest mass refers to the amount of energy a particle has when it is at rest. This is also known as the rest energy and is given by the famous equation E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

2. Can particles with zero rest mass have energy?

Yes, particles with zero rest mass, like photons, can still have energy due to their motion. This energy is known as kinetic energy and is given by the equation KE=½mv², where m is the mass of the particle and v is its velocity.

3. What is the significance of total energy at zero rest mass?

The concept of total energy at zero rest mass is important in understanding the relationship between energy and mass. It also plays a crucial role in theories of relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. How is total energy at zero rest mass measured?

Total energy at zero rest mass cannot be directly measured, but it can be calculated using the equation E=mc². This equation allows scientists to determine the energy of a particle based on its mass.

5. Can total energy at zero rest mass be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, total energy at zero rest mass can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or potential energy. This is because energy is a conserved quantity and can be transformed from one form to another.