Total energy of a star in terms of average temp.

In summary: I would appreciate some guidance and clarification on my approach.In summary, the problem being discussed is problem 1.55 in Schroeders Intro to Thermal Physics. The first part of the question involves showing that the potential energy of a system of two gravitating particles in a circular orbit is equal to -2 times the kinetic energy of the system. The second part asks what would happen to the average total kinetic energy of the system if energy is added and the system is allowed to equilibriate. The other part of the problem is about modeling a star as a gas of particles that interact only gravitationally and using the equipartition theorem to calculate the average kinetic energy and express the total energy of the star in terms of its average
JDStupi

Homework Statement

The problem I am doing is problem 1.55 in Schroeders Intro to Thermal Physics. Unfortunately, I have to come here for help a lot because the office hourse are not until after the homework is due...In any case, the first part of the question was to show that the potential energey of a system of two mutually gravitating particles in a circular orbit is equal to -2Kinetic of the system. From here it asks me what would happen to the average total kinetic energy of the system if you add energy to the system and wait for it to equilibriate.
I wouldl ike some help with how to think about this

Also, the other part I am on says "A star can be modeled as a gas of particles that interact with each other only gravitationally. According to the equipartition theroem, the average kinetic energy of the particled in such a star should be 3/2kt, where T is the average temperature. Express the total energy of a star in terms of its avg temp and calculate the heat capacity"

All I have is this, but It just seems wrong to me and I am not sure if I am going in the right direction
:
Because we have established that the U=(-2)K where U is the potential energy and K=3/2KT by the equipartition theorem We get:

(Letting P equal potential because later U comes in as total)

P=(-2)(3/2KT)=(-3KT). The total energy, then would be the sum of the potential and the kinetic which would be (K+P)=(3/2kT-3kT)=-3/2kT.

This has the unfortunate consequence of having a negative total energy, that is assuming the temperature is positive, which on a Kelvin scale it must be, therefore I believe I did something wrong and do not know how to proceed.

Because we already included the gravitational potential into the calculations the heat capacity C=Q/ΔT=(ΔU-W)/ΔT)=(ΔU)/(ΔT)=(dU/dT)=-3/2k

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations U=(-2)K K=3/2KTThe Attempt at a SolutionI have tried to express the total energy of the star in terms of its average temperature and calculate the heat capacity, but it is not coming out correctly.

Related to Total energy of a star in terms of average temp.

What is the total energy of a star?

The total energy of a star is the amount of energy that is produced and radiated from the star's surface. It is a combination of both kinetic and thermal energy.

How is the total energy of a star calculated?

The total energy of a star can be calculated by using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates the total energy emitted by a star to its temperature. The equation is E=σT4, where E is the total energy, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What is the relationship between a star's average temperature and its total energy?

The total energy of a star is directly proportional to its average temperature. This means that as the temperature of a star increases, its total energy also increases.

Can the total energy of a star change?

Yes, the total energy of a star can change over time. As a star ages and burns through its fuel, its total energy will decrease. However, during certain stages of a star's life, such as during a supernova explosion, the total energy can drastically increase.

What factors can affect the total energy of a star?

The total energy of a star can be affected by various factors, including its mass, composition, and age. These factors can impact the star's internal processes and the amount of energy it produces and radiates into space.