How Deep Will a Less Dense Ball Sink in Water?

In summary, the ball sinks to a depth of 4.5cm when falling into water from a height of 9cm, considering only buoyancy and ignoring retardation due to viscosity. The solution involved calculating the final velocity using the second equation of motion, determining the retarding force from buoyancy using the first and third equations of motion, and then plugging that into the third equation of motion to find the final depth. The mistake of not considering the weight of the ball in the retarding force equation was fixed, resulting in the correct answer of 4.5cm.
modulus

Homework Statement

A ball whose density is 0.4*103 kg/m3 falls into water from a height of 9cm. To what depth does the ball sink? Only consider bouyancy and ignore retardation due to viscocity.

(a) 9cm (b) 6cm (c) 4.5cm (d) 2.25cm

Homework Equations

Bouyant force = Volume of Body*Density of Liquid*Gravitational Acceleration

v2 = u2 + 2as

F = ma

Density = Mass / Volume

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first I figured out the final velocity with which the body entered into the water using the third equation of motion (second equation stated above).

Then I figured out the retarding force acting on the body because of the bouyancy offered by the water (using the second, the first, and then the third equation stated above).

Finally I plugged in the retardation offered by bouyancy into the third equation of motion, and figured out the final answer. My answer was 3.6cm, but that is nowere in the answer choices.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the retardation equation, did you include the fact that the ball's weight is still acting downwards on it, and that the retardation is caused by a resultant upwards force equal to buoyancy minus weight?

Umm... no I didn't. I'm stuipid, right?

Yup, well that solved the problem.

Thanks a lot.

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or completely immersed in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of an object.

2. How does buoyancy affect 1-D motion?

Buoyancy can affect 1-D motion by either increasing or decreasing an object's overall weight, which can affect its acceleration and velocity. For example, an object that is less dense than the fluid it is in will experience a greater upward buoyant force and therefore accelerate upwards.

3. What factors determine the buoyant force on an object?

The buoyant force on an object is determined by the volume of the object that is submerged, the density of the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid that is displaced by the object.

4. Can buoyancy be negative?

No, buoyancy is always a positive force. It is directed upwards and opposes the weight of an object. However, if an object's weight is greater than the buoyant force, it may sink in the fluid.

5. How does buoyancy relate to density?

Buoyancy and density are directly related. An object with a lower density than the fluid it is in will experience a greater buoyant force, while an object with a higher density will experience a smaller buoyant force. This is because the more dense an object is, the more it weighs and the more it will sink in the fluid.