1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Toughest topic in Linear Algebra

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1

I don't have a HW problem to post (yet) but I have just started taking college level Linear Algebra and was wondering what most people consider the most difficult topics in the course?

At this point I am up to solving for systems of many variables (usually 3) by performing row operations to invert matrices etc.

So far (2 weeks in) the class seems fairly easy, but everyone I've spoken to says that linear algebra starts off slow then gets very complex and difficult.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Linear algebra is a nice subject that people in general don't have that much trouble with. I certainly never had much trouble with it but analysis was another problem. It took me a while to get my head around the idea of a limit.
  4. Sep 9, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

IMO, one of the most difficult topics are linear transformations and matrix diagonalization. The latter topic involves eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
  5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

These are not that hard and can be very fun to play with. Matrix diagonalisation is pretty simple and fun too. I think that you will have a great time with this course. It is one of the subjects that underpins most of modern maths.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook