1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Traffic Light

1. Nov 25, 2007 #1
    I am trying to make a circuit that works basically just like a traffic light. I want to use LED's and a 555 timer. So I want the first LED to be lit upon applying a voltage, then I will use some type of switch that activates the next LED to light up and stay lit for a specific amount of time, then the last LED will light up and stay lit. And I only want one LED to be lit at a time. I know I can do this with a decade counter, but the only IC I want to use is a 555 timer, but it doesn't matter how many of them I use. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2
    without counters, 555 timers could work as one shots. But for some reason many people I knew had trouble getting 555 timers to work as one shots. With JUST 555 timers, your design would be somewhat limited. Hook it onto a state machine for more flexibility

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?