Trains approaching constant acceleraton problem

In summary, two trains, initially at rest and 40m apart, face each other on adjacent tracks. The train on the left accelerates rightward at 1.12m/s2 while the train on the right accelerates leftward at 1m/s2. The left train travels 48m in 9.258s and the right train also travels 48m in 9.798s. To find the time it takes for the trains to meet, motion equations can be used to find the relative displacement between the two front ends, represented by \vec x_{12}. By finding the relative motion of the trains, the time it takes for them to meet can be determined.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

Two trains face each other on adjacent tracks. They are initially at rest, and their front ends are 40m apart. The train on the left accelerates rightward at 1.12m/s2. The train on the right accelerates leftward at 1 m/s2. How far does the train on the left travel before the front ends of the trains pass?

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that it takes the left train 9.258s to travel 48m. It takes the right train 9.798s to travel 48m as well. This is useless info I think. I also found their final velocities.

But I also think that is useless info. I need some help on how to do this problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relative displacement between the two front ends? Or, in other words, how far apart are the two front ends at every point in time?

What is [tex]\vec x_{12}[/tex]?
Find how long it takes for them to 'meet' and then look at how much the one train has traveled over that time.

[tex]\vec x_{12}\equiv \vec x_1-\vec x_2[/tex]

How do I find how long it takes them to meet?

Write out the motion equations for each of the trains and then use relative motion to find how long it takes for them to meet.

Find:
[tex]\vec x_1(t)[/tex] and [tex]\vec x_2(t)[/tex]

1. What is the constant acceleration problem for trains?

The constant acceleration problem for trains refers to a physics problem where a train starts from rest and accelerates at a constant rate until it reaches a certain velocity.

2. How is the acceleration of a train calculated?

The acceleration of a train can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can also be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a train?

The acceleration of a train can be affected by several factors including the mass of the train, the force applied to the train, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How is the distance traveled by a train during constant acceleration calculated?

The distance traveled by a train during constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula d = vi * t + 1/2 * a * t^2, where d is distance, vi is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.

5. What is the significance of the constant acceleration problem for trains?

The constant acceleration problem for trains is significant because it is a common real-life scenario that can be used to understand and apply the principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and kinematics. It also has practical applications in the design and operation of trains and other forms of transportation.