Solving Trajectory Problem: Initial Speed, Time, & Height

• Thread starter PhilCam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trajectory
In summary: The answer may vary slightly due to rounding errors. The important thing is that you understand the process and have the right formula to use. In summary, the horizontal and vertical components of the initial speed of the ball are 14.55 m/s and 12.2 m/s respectively. The time it takes for the ball to cross the plane of the goal posts is 2.06 seconds. The ball crosses the plane of the goal posts at a height of -3.44 m and has a magnitude of speed of 16.389 m/s.
PhilCam

Homework Statement

A college regulation goal post has a horizontal ball at a height of 3.048 m from the ground. A kicker attempts a field goal at a distance of 30 m from the goal posts. The initial speed of the ball is 19 m/s making an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal. The plane of trajectory is perpendicular to the plane of the goal posts. Neglect friction and air resistance.

a) The horizontal component of the intial speed of the ball is:
b) The vertical component of the inital speed of the ball is:
c) The time it takes for the ball to cross the plane of the goal posts is:
d) The ball crosses the plane of the goal posts at a height of:
e) The magnitude of speed of the football as it crosses the plane of the goal posts is:

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have found (A) using 19m/s X cos 40 degrees and part (B) using 19 m/s X sin 40 degrees.

The answers are 14.55 m/s and 12.2 m/s respectively. For part C, I just took 30 m divided by the horizontal component of 14.55 and the answer was 2.06 seconds which I believe is correct.

For part D and E, I am unsure of how to proceed. I thought maybe 2.06seconds X 12.2 m/s but the answer seemed way too high. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
d) Use the formula
y = v*sinθ*t - 0.5*g*t^2. From c) you know the time. Find y.
e) Using v = v*sinθ - g*t, find the vertical component of the velocity after time t. Horizontal component remains constant. Find the resultant of these two velocities.

Thank you for the help.

Using your second formula:
V=19*(sin 40) - 9.8(2.016)
V= 12.213 - 19.757
V= -7.544

Magnitude = Square root (-7.544^2+14.55^2)
M = Square root (56.912+211.703)
M=16.389

It is telling me the answer should be 16.6.

I have re-done this equation a couple times, is there a math error or an answer key error?

Again, thank you for the help

Your math is correct.

What is a trajectory problem?

A trajectory problem is a type of physics problem that involves determining the path of an object as it moves through space, taking into account factors such as initial speed, time, and height. It can also involve calculating the object's velocity, acceleration, and position at different points along its path.

What is the equation for solving a trajectory problem?

The equation commonly used to solve a trajectory problem is the kinematic equation: d = v0t + 1/2at2, where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial speed, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. This equation can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, depending on which ones are known.

How do you calculate the initial speed in a trajectory problem?

The initial speed can be calculated using the equation v0 = (d - 1/2at2)/t. This equation involves dividing the distance traveled by the time, and then subtracting half of the acceleration times the time squared. This will give you the initial speed of the object at the beginning of its trajectory.

Can you use the trajectory equation for objects starting at different heights?

Yes, the trajectory equation can be used for objects starting at different heights. When solving for the initial speed, the height can be taken into account by adding the object's initial height to the distance traveled in the equation. Additionally, the acceleration may also be affected by the object's initial height, depending on the presence of external forces such as gravity.

What are some real-life applications of solving trajectory problems?

Solving trajectory problems has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, engineers may use trajectory calculations to design the path of a rocket or satellite, while physicists may use it to study the motion of celestial bodies. In sports, trajectory calculations can be used to predict the path of a ball in a game, helping players make more accurate shots or catches.