Transitive Closure of Relations on S: Solutions

• Thread starter dcramps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    closure
Let me explain it to you.So, the transitive closure of a relation R on a set S is the smallest transitive relation that contains R. In other words, it is the smallest relation that includes all the elements of R and any additional elements that are necessary to make it transitive. Does that make sense?In summary, the transitive closure for each of the given relations on set S is as follows: (a) No transitive closure exists. (b) The transitive closure is {(1, 1), (2, 2), (1, 3)}. (c) No transitive closure exists since all possible elements are already included. (d) Still working on finding the transitive closure.
dcramps

Homework Statement

Let S = {1, 2, 3, 4}. For each of the following relationson S give its transitive
closure.

(a) {(1, 1), (3, 4)}
(b) {(1, 2), (4, 4), (2, 1), (4, 3), (2, 3)}
(c) {(1, 1), (2, 2), (3, 3), (4, 4), (4, 1)}
(d) {(1, 3), (3, 2), (2, 4), (4, 1)}

Homework Equations

N/A?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have absolutely no idea what I am supposed to be doing. Any push in the right direction would be appreciated. Not asking for an answer here.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of transitive closure for a relation?

I have absolutely no idea. I got some help from a classmate and I think I have it somewhat figured out?

for a, there is none
for b, I found (1,1) (2,2) and (1,3)
for c, there is also none since anything you can find is already there..
d still working on.

Just wondering now how do I format this into an answer? Do I just do {(1,1),(2,2),(1,3)} and so on?

How can you give the transitive closure of a relation without knowing what it is?

1. What is the definition of transitive closure of relations on S?

The transitive closure of relations on S is the smallest transitive relation that contains all the ordered pairs in the original relation on S. In other words, it is the set of all elements in S that can be reached by following the relation from any given element in S.

2. Why is the concept of transitive closure important in relation to sets and relations?

The transitive closure is important because it helps us understand the relationships between elements in a set. It allows us to determine the existence of a path between any two elements in a relation, which is useful in many mathematical and scientific fields such as graph theory, database design, and linguistics.

3. How is the transitive closure of relations on S computed?

The transitive closure can be computed using various algorithms, such as the Warshall's algorithm or the Floyd-Warshall algorithm. These algorithms use a matrix representation of the relation to determine the transitive closure in a finite number of steps.

4. Can a relation on S have more than one transitive closure?

No, a relation on S can only have one transitive closure. This is because the transitive closure is defined as the smallest transitive relation that contains all the ordered pairs in the original relation. Therefore, there can only be one minimal transitive closure.

5. How is the transitive closure of a relation on S related to the reflexive and symmetric closures?

The transitive closure is a combination of the reflexive and symmetric closures. The transitive closure includes all the elements in the original relation, as well as any additional elements that are needed to ensure that the relation is transitive. In contrast, the reflexive closure adds elements to make the relation reflexive, while the symmetric closure adds elements to make the relation symmetric.