Can Engineers Overcome the Impending Limitations of Moore's Law?

In summary, electronic engineers and computer scientists will have to find ways to compensate for the physical limit on transistor size within the next 10 years or less. There are workarounds being discussed, but they are still speculative and experimental. Quantum computing is still in its infancy and won't be perfected for quite some time.
Carno Raar said:
I say concurrency not parallelism as I don't yet have access to properly parallel hardware ... :)
If you don't have parallel hardware, concurrency is just sequential but with extra overhead. That is, if you have a single-thread process in a single CPU and you make it multi-threaded but still on the single CPU, all you have done is add thread overhead.

Computer science news on Phys.org
phinds said:
If you don't have parallel hardware, concurrency is just sequential but with extra overhead. That is, if you have a single-thread process in a single CPU and you make it multi-threaded but still on the single CPU, all you have done is add thread overhead.
Managing multiple downloads + many other use-cases.

"Take this list of URLs and download them all". You don't want to sit there doing nothing while your 1st and only download times out.

Edit: Yes you can implement this single threaded with async and a non-blocking downloader but that's a bit weird - and most libraries implement nonblocking download with threads anyway.

Last edited:
Carno Raar said:
Managing multiple downloads + many other use-cases.
Good point. Thanks. I had not thought about I/O bound processes.