Transfer function between torque and strain

In summary, we have a conversation about developing a Matlab Simulink model to represent the relationship between voltage applied to a motor, voltage across a strain gauge connected to a shaft attached to the motor, and the resulting strain on the shaft. The transfer functions between voltage and motor torque, and between strain on the shaft and voltage across the strain gauge have been found, but there is still a need for the transfer function between torque on the shaft and resulting strain. Additional information or findings about this topic are requested.
CraigH
I'm trying to develop a Matlab Simulink model which models the relationship between the voltage applied to a motor, and the voltage across a strain gauge connected to a shaft attached to the motor. So far, I have found the transfer function between voltage and motor torque, and the transfer function between strain on the shaft and voltage across the strain gauge. However, I cannot find a source that explains the transfer function between torque on the shaft and the resulting strain on that shaft.

Can somebody please explain how I would go about finding this transfer function?

The shaft is a 150mm long, 40mm diameter steel cylinder.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between two variables in a system. It describes how a change in one variable affects the other variable.

How is a transfer function between torque and strain determined?

The transfer function between torque and strain is determined by conducting experiments and collecting data. The data is then analyzed to find the relationship between the two variables, which is represented by the transfer function.

What is the significance of the transfer function between torque and strain?

The transfer function between torque and strain is significant in understanding the behavior of materials and systems under different levels of stress. It is used in various industries, such as aerospace and automotive, to design and test materials and components.

How is the transfer function between torque and strain used in engineering?

The transfer function between torque and strain is used in engineering to design and optimize systems and components. It helps engineers understand how different materials and structures will behave under different levels of torque and strain, allowing them to make informed decisions in their designs.

Can the transfer function between torque and strain change over time?

Yes, the transfer function between torque and strain can change over time due to various factors such as wear and tear, fatigue, and changes in environmental conditions. It is important to regularly monitor and update the transfer function to ensure accurate predictions and analyses.