1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transfer of Heat: mass of liquid helium that boils?

1. Nov 23, 2005 #1

Liquid helium is stored at its boiling-point temperature of 4.2 K in a spherical container (r = 0.251 m). The container is a perfect blackbody radiator. The container is surrounded by a spherical shield whose temperature is 72.8 K. A vacuum exists in the space between the container and shield. The latent heat of vaporization for helium is 2.1 x 104 J/kg. What mass of liquid helium boils away through the venting valve in 19.2 hours?

I have tried calculating the net Powere first withthe equation Pnet =e sigma (5.67*E -8) A(.251*.251*pi) ( T^4-Tenvirnment^4) this gives me
    .315210793711 as my Pnet. then I plug it into the formula Q=Pt Q=P*69120 secs) = 21787.3700613. My last step is to plug it into Q=mLv which is my new specific heat divided by my liquid heat of vaoprization of helium which is 2.1*E4 I get 1.03749, which is incorrect. I am not sure where I am going wrong . should I be calculating seperate Q values from the beginning with different e values?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

For one thing the area of a sphere is 4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2.

So one calculates the P (W) from the Stefan-Boltzmann Law - using the correct area.

Then with power * time = Q, and one can then use the latent heat to find the mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?