Transfer of momentum via friction

In summary, the transfer of momentum via friction involves the exchange of momentum between two objects through the force of friction. Friction plays a crucial role in this transfer by opposing the motion of the objects and causing a decrease in their momentum. The amount of momentum transferred depends on factors such as the coefficient of friction, mass and velocity of the objects, and surface area of contact. The transfer of momentum via friction can be beneficial in activities such as walking, driving, and braking, and it is utilized in various real-life applications such as transportation, sports, and manufacturing.
drjay
Ok, not sure if this is the right section - hope so.

A friend and I are having a debate on if there's a 100% transfer of momentum from one object to another. For example, if I tossed someone into a water current going 100mph that eventually the person would also, without fail, reach 100mph. I said that there is a constant loss in the transfer of energy between one object and another especially via just friction. Placing your hand flat on an object and pushing it would be different. Sliding your hand across something will ALWAYS have some losses that will keep the object from reaching the same speed as your hand. The materials in use will dictate what percentage of loss there will be. E.G. Sliding two pieces of concrete against each other will get closer in speed than a piece of paper and air.

For example: If I tossed a piece of paper into the water, only a small fraction of the energy in the water will have to be transferred to the piece of paper in order to get it up to 100mph. However, a larger fraction of the energy would have to be transferred to get a block of lead up to the same 100mph. I wholly don't agree that there is a 100% transfer in the energy from one body to another, and thus you can not always get something up to the same speed.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic for discussion. I can confirm that there is never a 100% transfer of momentum from one object to another. This is due to the presence of external factors such as friction, air resistance, and the properties of the materials involved.

In your example, tossing someone into a water current, the person will certainly gain some momentum from the water, but it will not be a 100% transfer. This is because some of the energy will be lost due to friction between the water and the person's body, as well as air resistance. The amount of energy lost will depend on the speed of the water current and the properties of the person's body.

Similarly, when pushing an object with your hand, there will always be some energy lost due to friction between your hand and the object's surface. The materials involved will also play a role in determining the amount of energy lost.

In summary, there is always a loss of energy in any transfer of momentum between objects. The percentage of loss may vary depending on the specific circumstances, but it is never 100%. I hope this helps clarify your debate with your friend. Keep questioning and exploring the wonders of science!

I can confirm that there is never a 100% transfer of momentum from one object to another. Friction, which is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces rub against each other, always results in some energy loss. This means that the object being pushed or thrown will never reach the exact same speed as the object exerting the force.

The amount of energy loss due to friction depends on the materials involved and the forces acting on them. In the example given, the piece of paper will experience more energy loss compared to the block of lead due to its lighter weight and lower resistance to friction.

Furthermore, there are other factors that can affect the transfer of momentum, such as air resistance, which can also cause energy loss. So even if the two objects have the same weight and resistance to friction, they may not reach the same speed due to the presence of air resistance.

In conclusion, while it is possible to achieve high speeds through the transfer of momentum via friction, it is never a perfect transfer and there will always be some energy loss. This is an important concept to consider in various fields of science, such as engineering and physics, when designing and analyzing systems involving the transfer of momentum.

What is the definition of transfer of momentum via friction?

The transfer of momentum via friction refers to the exchange of momentum between two objects when they come into contact and experience a force due to the friction between their surfaces.

How does friction affect the transfer of momentum?

Friction plays a critical role in the transfer of momentum between two objects. The force of friction opposes the motion of the objects, causing a decrease in their momentum. This decrease in momentum is then transferred to the surface or object that the objects are in contact with.

What factors affect the amount of momentum transferred via friction?

The amount of momentum transferred via friction depends on several factors, including the coefficient of friction between the surfaces, the mass and velocity of the objects, and the surface area of contact between the objects.

Can the transfer of momentum via friction be beneficial?

Yes, in some cases, the transfer of momentum via friction can be beneficial. For example, it allows us to walk or drive on surfaces without slipping, and it is essential in activities such as braking and gripping objects.

How is the transfer of momentum via friction used in real-life applications?

The transfer of momentum via friction is used in various real-life applications, including transportation (such as car brakes), sports (such as stopping a hockey puck), and manufacturing (such as cutting materials with a saw).