1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transferring grad school

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am a 2nd year international PhD student in a mid-tier US university. When I applied to grad school as an undergrad I intended to do high energy phenomenology and theory.

In the past summer I worked on a pheno project, which was my first project in grad school (was taking courses in first year). I enjoyed working with my adviser, but partly because it is programming-based, so are many research in pheno in general, I feel a mismatch of project nature and my ability. (Programming is always my worst part, and I never enjoy coding.)

I have a strong sense that I want to switch to theory and do more analytic work. So I approached the theory faculty I was interested in working when I applied 2 years ago but found that he was leaving the dept permanently. There is a good chance that the only other theory faculty is not taking new students, so I may not be able to switch to theory.

I am considering transferring to another uni, but not sure if the above will constitute legitimate reasons for this. I took QFT1&2 and did well and am reading string theory, if only these help...

Needing advice Thanks!

P.S. My dept offers terminal MS. I didn't publish (I just had my first project in grad school in summer, didn't go very well).

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is it a good reason for switching? Sure. Be aware that you are moving into an even more competitive field, and furthermore, even if the new school does the research you are interested in, they may not be able to support a new student on the right timescale. Also be aware that "transferring" isn't really a concept, except in special circumstances - like when a faculty member joins and takes his students with him. You should expect to start from the beginning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook