Transform Boundary Conditions w/ Diff. $g_{0}, g_{1}$

In summary, we can transform the problem by subtracting a known function $K(x,t)$ that satisfies the given boundary conditions, and then using the method of eigenfunction expansion to solve for $v(x,t)$ and ultimately $u(x,t)$.
Markov2
1) Transform the problem so that boundary conditions turn to homogeneous ones assuming that $g_0$ and $g_1$ are differentiable.

$\begin{align}
&{{u}_{t}}=K{{u}_{xx}},\text{ }0<x<L,\text{ }t>0, \\
&{{u}_{x}}(0,t)={{g}_{0}}(t),\text{ }{{u}_{x}}(L,t)={{g}_{1}}(t),\text{ for }t>0, \\
&u(x,0)=f(x),\text{ for }0<x<L.
\end{align}
$

2) Same as above:

$\begin{align}
& {{u}_{t}}=K{{u}_{xx}},\text{ }0<x<L,\text{ }t>0, \\
& u(0,t)={{h}_{0}}(t)\text{ for }t>0, \\
& {{u}_{x}}(L,t)+\alpha u(L,t)={{h}_{1}}(t),\text{ for }t>0, \\
& u(x,0)=f(x),\text{ for }0<x<L.
\end{align}
$

Well first one is pretty much alike to other one I posted, but it now contains first derivative in the boundary conditions so I'd like to know how to proceed. Second one looks harder, I don't see how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Markov said:
1) Transform the problem so that boundary conditions turn to homogeneous ones assuming that $g_0$ and $g_1$ are differentiable.

$\begin{align}
&{{u}_{t}}=K{{u}_{xx}},\text{ }0<x<L,\text{ }t>0, \\
&{{u}_{x}}(0,t)={{g}_{0}}(t),\text{ }{{u}_{x}}(L,t)={{g}_{1}}(t),\text{ for }t>0, \\
&u(x,0)=f(x),\text{ for }0<x<L.
\end{align}
$

2) Same as above:

$\begin{align}
& {{u}_{t}}=K{{u}_{xx}},\text{ }0<x<L,\text{ }t>0, \\
& u(0,t)={{h}_{0}}(t)\text{ for }t>0, \\
& {{u}_{x}}(L,t)+\alpha u(L,t)={{h}_{1}}(t),\text{ for }t>0, \\
& u(x,0)=f(x),\text{ for }0<x<L.
\end{align}
$

Well first one is pretty much alike to other one I posted, but it now contains first derivative in the boundary conditions so I'd like to know how to proceed. Second one looks harder, I don't see how to start.

Here is an example
$u_t-5u_{xx}=t^2$
$u_x(0,t)=\sin(t)$
$u(1,t)=2$
$u(x,0)=e^x$

Let $K(x,t)$ be any known function and $u(x,t)=v(x,t)+K(x,t)$
Since the B.C. are linear, $Su=S(v+K) = Sv+SK$.

$v_x(0,t)+K_x(0,t)=\sin(t)\Leftrightarrow v_x(0,t)=\sin(t)-K_x(0,t)$
$v(1,t)=2-K(1,t)$
$v(x,0)=e^x-K(x,0)$

Let's try to find a $K(x,t)$ that satisfies the BCs.

For $v(1,t)$ set $K(1,t)=2$ (1) so $K(x,t)=2$
$K_x(0,t)=\sin(t)$ (2) so $K(x,t)=x\sin(t)$
Satisfying both $K(x,t)=x\sin(t)-\sin(t)+2$

Take appropriate derivatives $K_t, K_{xx}$ and plug in

$v_t-5v_{xx}=t^2+\cos(t)-x\cos(t)$
$v_x(0,t)=0$
$v(L,t)=0$
$v(x,0)=e^x-2$

Next need to show $K_t-5K_{xx}=t^2$ (3)
$K(x,t)=\frac{t^3}{3}$ Then
$v_t-5v_{xx}=0$
$v_x(0,t)=\sin(t)$
$v(L,t)=2-\frac{t^3}{3}$
$v(x,0)=e^x$

However, we can't find a $K(x,t)$ for this example that satisfies (1), (2), and (3). If we could, we would use the method of eigenfunction expansion like I did in a previous post.

But now you know how to approach these problems.

Related to Transform Boundary Conditions w/ Diff. $g_{0}, g_{1}$

1. What are transform boundary conditions?

Transform boundary conditions refer to the conditions at the interface between two different materials or regions in which there is a change in the displacement gradient or strain rate. These conditions can occur in various physical systems, such as in geology, fluid mechanics, and materials science.

2. How are transform boundary conditions different from other boundary conditions?

Transform boundary conditions are different from other boundary conditions in that they involve a change in the displacement gradient or strain rate, rather than a change in the displacement or stress values themselves. This can lead to unique behaviors and phenomena at these interfaces.

3. What is the significance of $g_{0}$ and $g_{1}$ in transform boundary conditions?

$g_{0}$ and $g_{1}$ are the two parameters that characterize the behavior of transform boundary conditions. $g_{0}$ represents the change in the displacement gradient across the boundary, while $g_{1}$ represents the change in the strain rate across the boundary. These parameters are important in understanding and predicting the behavior of systems with transform boundary conditions.

4. Can transform boundary conditions be modeled mathematically?

Yes, transform boundary conditions can be modeled using mathematical equations that describe the change in displacement gradient and strain rate at the interface. These equations can be solved numerically to predict the behavior of the system under different conditions.

5. How do transform boundary conditions affect the overall behavior of a system?

Transform boundary conditions can significantly influence the behavior of a system. They can cause stress concentrations, changes in material properties, and unpredictable behaviors such as strain localization. Understanding and properly modeling transform boundary conditions is crucial in accurately predicting the behavior of physical systems.