Question: Can a boosted frame remove unwanted terms from a transformed metric?

In summary, the conversation discusses the form of the Einstein tensor and the use of a transformation to diagonalize it. There is a question about whether the transformed tensor will still be equal to the original tensor. There is also a discussion about the possibility of changing an unphysical metric to a physical one with a coordinate transformation. Ultimately, it is determined that the proposed transformation is not possible and a different approach is needed.
Mentz114
A certain metric gives an Einstein tensor that has the form below. The coordinate labelling is
[itex]x^0=t,\ x^1=r,\ x^2=\theta,\ x^3=\phi[/itex]
[tex]
G_{\mu\nu}= \left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
A & B & 0 & 0\\
B & p1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & p2 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & p3
\end{array} \right]
[/tex]
where [itex]A,B,C,p1,p2,p3[/itex] are functions of t and r. A transformation [itex]\Lambda[/itex] so [itex]\Lambda^\mu_\rho\ \Lambda^\nu_\sigma\ G_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is diagonal is easily found,
[tex]
\Lambda^\mu_\rho=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc}
1 & -\frac{B}{p1} & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{array} \right]
[/tex]
This seems to be transforming [itex]t[/itex] into [itex]T=t-h\ r[/itex] where [itex]h=B/p1[/itex]. This can be used to give the differential transformation
[tex]
dT=dt -hdr-rdh=dt-hdr-r(\partial_t h\ dt + \partial_r h\ dr)
[/tex]
so we can find [itex]dt^2[/itex] and substitute into the original metric to get a transformed one written in coordinates [itex]T,r,\theta,\phi[/itex].

Question: will the Einstein tensor obtained from the transformed metric be [itex]\Lambda^\mu_\rho\ \Lambda^\nu_\sigma\ G_{\mu\nu}[/itex] ?

I think it will be but I haven't convinced myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mentz114 said:
Question: will the Einstein tensor obtained from the transformed metric be [itex]\Lambda^\mu_\rho\ \Lambda^\nu_\sigma\ G_{\mu\nu}[/itex] ?

Isn't this true regardless of the specifics of the problem, just because that's how a rank-2 tensor transforms?

bcrowell said:
Isn't this true regardless of the specifics of the problem, just because that's how a rank-2 tensor transforms?
That is what I think - but I have some doubts.

It would be true if [itex]\Lambda[/itex] were a frame field, i.e. a transformation from the coordinate basis to a frame basis - but it's not.

In the untransformed Einstein tensor, the terms I've called [itex]p1[/itex] etc do come out as isotropic pressure, i.e. [itex]p1=Pg_{11}[/itex], with the same P in all three. So if the off-diagonal terms were absent, it might be a static perfect fluid with pressure. Can one change an unphysical metric to a physical one with a coordinate transformation ? It seems too easy.

Last edited:
I could be all wet here, but it looks like your lambda is impossible as a coordinate transform. I think the (0,0) component being 1 is saying you must have T=t + f(r). Your solution would then be possible if B and p1 depended only on r. But you've said they depend on r and t. Contradiction.

PAllen said:
I could be all wet here, but it looks like your lambda is impossible as a coordinate transform. I think the (0,0) component being 1 is saying you must have T=t + f(r). Your solution would then be possible if B and p1 depended only on r. But you've said they depend on r and t. Contradiction.

I think you're right. It's a bust.

But I have found a boosted frame that removes the unwanted terms, which is what I should have done in the first place.

Last edited:

1. What is transformation confusion?

Transformation confusion is a term used to describe the difficulty or uncertainty that can arise when trying to understand or implement a transformation in a scientific context. This can refer to any type of transformation, such as a chemical reaction or a biological process.

2. What causes transformation confusion?

Transformation confusion can be caused by a variety of factors, including complex or unfamiliar concepts, conflicting information, and lack of understanding or experience with the transformation in question. It can also stem from the use of different terminology or approaches in different scientific fields.

3. How can transformation confusion be overcome?

Overcoming transformation confusion requires a combination of patience, critical thinking, and seeking out reliable sources of information. It can also be helpful to consult with experts in the field or to break down the transformation into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. Are there any strategies for preventing transformation confusion?

One strategy for preventing transformation confusion is to thoroughly research and understand the transformation before attempting to implement it. This can involve reading scientific literature, consulting with colleagues, and seeking out educational resources. Additionally, breaking down complex transformations into simpler steps and using clear and consistent terminology can also help prevent confusion.

5. How important is it to understand transformations in science?

Understanding transformations is crucial in science, as they are fundamental processes that underlie many phenomena and experiments. Without a solid understanding of transformations, it can be difficult to accurately interpret data or make meaningful conclusions in scientific research. It is also important for scientists to communicate and collaborate effectively, which often requires a shared understanding of transformations.