Transformations of y = ab^k(x-4) + c

In summary, in order to obtain the graph of y = 2 - 3(5^(x+4)), the transformations of a horizontal shift to the left by 4 units and a vertical shift up by 2 units must be applied to the graph of y = 5^x.
pbonnie

Homework Statement

Describe the transformations that must be applied to the graph of y = 5^x to obtain the graph of y = 2 - 3(5^(x+4)) and complete the following table (attached)

Homework Equations

y = ab^k(x-4) + c

The Attempt at a Solution

I started filling out the table. First column was provided.
Second column y = -3(5^x) I multiplied the y value by -3
(-1,-3/6)
(0,0)
(1,-3)
(2,-6)
(3,-9)

For the third column I'm not sure how to incorporate the 2-3. I know the graph shifts 4 units left, so I would subtract 4 from each x value. But that's all I understand.
(-5, ?)
(-4, ?)
(-3, ?)
(-2, ?)
(-1, ?)

I can answer the rest of the question once I figure out how to do this part.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to attach image.

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 389
pbonnie said:

Homework Statement

Describe the transformations that must be applied to the graph of y = 5^x to obtain the graph of y = 2 - 3(5^(x+4)) and complete the following table (attached)

Homework Equations

y = ab^k(x-4) + c

The Attempt at a Solution

I started filling out the table. First column was provided.
Second column y = -3(5^x) I multiplied the y value by -3
(-1,-3/6)
(0,0)
(1,-3)
(2,-6)
(3,-9)

For the third column I'm not sure how to incorporate the 2-3. I know the graph shifts 4 units left, so I would subtract 4 from each x value. But that's all I understand.
(-5, ?)
(-4, ?)
(-3, ?)
(-2, ?)
(-1, ?)

I can answer the rest of the question once I figure out how to do this part.
Thank you

Don't think of it as "2 - 3", since they represent different transformations.

First look at y = 5x + 4, which represents a shift to the left by 4 units relative to the graph of y = 5x.

Next, look at y = 3*5x + 4.
Then look at y = -3*5x + 4.
Finally, look at y = -3*5x + 4 + 2, which is the same as y = 2 - 3*5x + 4.

Oh wow that easy. Great, thanks!

1. What is the meaning of the variables in the equation y = ab^k(x-4) + c?

In this equation, y represents the value of the output or dependent variable. x represents the input or independent variable. a, b, k, and c are constants that affect the shape and position of the graph.

2. How does the value of a affect the graph of y = ab^k(x-4) + c?

The value of a is known as the vertical stretch/compression factor and determines the vertical scaling of the graph. If a is greater than 1, the graph will be stretched vertically, and if a is between 0 and 1, the graph will be compressed vertically.

3. What does the value of b represent in the equation y = ab^k(x-4) + c?

The value of b is known as the base and determines the horizontal scaling of the graph. The graph will experience a horizontal stretch or compression depending on the value of b. If b is greater than 1, the graph will be stretched horizontally, and if b is between 0 and 1, the graph will be compressed horizontally.

4. How does the value of k affect the graph of y = ab^k(x-4) + c?

The value of k is known as the exponent and determines the direction and steepness of the graph. If k is positive, the graph will have a positive slope, and if k is negative, the graph will have a negative slope. The greater the absolute value of k, the steeper the slope of the graph will be.

5. What is the role of c in the equation y = ab^k(x-4) + c?

The value of c is known as the vertical shift and determines the vertical translation of the graph. If c is positive, the graph will shift upward, and if c is negative, the graph will shift downward. The absolute value of c will also affect the height of the graph.