Transformer Capacitive Coupling

In summary: Please have a look at the attached image. The arrows above primary and below secondary show assumed polarity). Then he wanted to find out the values of x and y through simultaneous linear equations, using the above values. But the first problem was that the meter showed RMS values which couldn't be negative, and secondly, this method didn't turn out to be correct either because all the different equations actually boiled down to a single equation. Is his model correct? How can he find the values of x and y?In summary, old Jim attempted to model the capacitor coupling between the primary and secondary windings of a low voltage transformer, but found that the method was flawed. He suggests using a capacitance meter to
QwertyXP
I had a 4:1 single phase step-down transformer. Primary winding was provided the mains supply (225V) and output (secondary) was 57V. I was under the impression that capacitive coupling b/w primary and secondary was noticeable only in high-voltage transformers, and thus in this case (low voltage) the two windings would practically be electrically isolated.
However, when I measured the voltage b/w each of the primary (P1, P2) and secondary (S1, S2) terminals, I got significantly large values:
S1->P1: 204V
S2->P1: 154V
S1->P2: 6V
S2->P2: 44V

Are these values because of capacitive coupling?

I tried modelling this situation (Please have a look at the attached image. The arrows above primary and below secondary show assumed polarity). Then I wanted to find out the values of x and y through simultaneous linear equations, using the above values. But the first problem was that the meter showed RMS values which couldn't be negative, and secondly, this method didn't turn out to be correct either because all the different equations actually boiled down to a single equation. Is my model correct? How can I find the values of x and y?

Attachments

• capacitive coupling.jpg
    capacitive coupling.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 583
Engineering news on Phys.org
QwertyXP said:
I had a 4:1 single phase step-down transformer. Primary winding was provided the mains supply (225V) and output (secondary) was 57V. I was under the impression that capacitive coupling b/w primary and secondary was noticeable only in high-voltage transformers, and thus in this case (low voltage) the two windings would practically be electrically isolated.
However, when I measured the voltage b/w each of the primary (P1, P2) and secondary (S1, S2) terminals, I got significantly large values:
S1->P1: 204V
S2->P1: 154V
S1->P2: 6V
S2->P2: 44V

Are these values because of capacitive coupling?

I tried modelling this situation (Please have a look at the attached image. The arrows above primary and below secondary show assumed polarity). Then I wanted to find out the values of x and y through simultaneous linear equations, using the above values. But the first problem was that the meter showed RMS values which couldn't be negative, and secondly, this method didn't turn out to be correct either because all the different equations actually boiled down to a single equation. Is my model correct? How can I find the values of x and y?

Doi you have a capacitance meter? That's the easiest way to measure the winding-to-winding capacitances. BTW, the Cww values give you common-mode coupling between windings, not differential-mode coupling.

Capacitance meter would be great.
If your DMM is so equipped...

In your circuit analysis, what did you assume for impedance of your meter ?

Try ten megohms, which if digital it probably is.

Then try a 'poor man's thevenin' equivalent by placing maybe 10k ohms across your meter and reading voltage again.

Now you should have two equations to work with for your two unknowns.

Reason for 10k ohms instead of zero ohms as in real thevenin work is: there could be a short between the windings and you don't want to wreck your meter. If there is a winding to winding short the 10k resistor might quickly get very hot, so be careful.

SO: Check for shorts with ohmmeter first.

AND don't leave energized wires where tiny fingers can reach them. You know how curious kids are.
So hide your power cord.
old jim

1. What is transformer capacitive coupling?

Transformer capacitive coupling is a method of transferring electrical energy from one circuit to another through a capacitor connected to a transformer. This coupling allows for the transfer of energy while maintaining electrical isolation between the two circuits.

2. How does transformer capacitive coupling work?

In transformer capacitive coupling, a capacitor is connected between the primary and secondary windings of a transformer. When an AC signal is applied to the primary winding, it creates an electric field across the capacitor, which in turn induces a current in the secondary winding. This current can then be used to power a load connected to the secondary circuit.

3. What are the advantages of transformer capacitive coupling?

One advantage of transformer capacitive coupling is its ability to provide electrical isolation between two circuits. This can be beneficial in applications where there is a risk of high voltages or electrical interference. Additionally, transformer capacitive coupling allows for efficient transfer of energy with minimal losses.

4. What are the disadvantages of transformer capacitive coupling?

One disadvantage of transformer capacitive coupling is its susceptibility to changes in frequency. The coupling efficiency is highly dependent on the frequency of the AC signal, so changes in frequency can result in variations in the amount of energy transferred. Additionally, the use of capacitors in this method can be limited by their voltage and current ratings.

5. What are some common uses of transformer capacitive coupling?

Transformer capacitive coupling is commonly used in electronic devices such as power supplies, amplifiers, and filters. It is also used in communication systems for signal isolation and impedance matching. Additionally, it is used in various industrial and medical applications where electrical isolation is necessary.