Transformer input Voltage question

In summary, when a real transformer is supplied with 100V rms from a generator and a load is connected to the secondary, the input voltage at the transformer primary terminals will not always be 100V due to losses in the cables and voltage drops in the system. The generator, if well-controlled, can compensate for some of these losses. As the load on the transformer increases, it will be reflected on the primary side and can potentially cause a voltage drop at both the transformer and generator terminals.
Physicist3
Hi, Just to clarify, If a real transformer is being supplied with let's say 100V rms from a generator, and a load is connected to the secondary via a line containing both reactance and resistance, the input voltage at the transformer primary terminals should always be 100V, no matter what is happening after this point, as all the voltage drops associated with losses etc will not have been reached yet. Am i correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not really - as the generator and the leads from the generator to the transformer is not ideal ( in the real world) -- so the total V drop at each point of the system still affected by what is effectively a voltage divider - each element has losses and has a voltage drop. A generator with light load and good voltage control - can compensate for this however.

Windadct said:
Not really - as the generator and the leads from the generator to the transformer is not ideal ( in the real world) -- so the total V drop at each point of the system still affected by what is effectively a voltage divider - each element has losses and has a voltage drop. A generator with light load and good voltage control - can compensate for this however.

Thanks for the reply. So in simple terms, if the output terminals if the generator show 100v, the input if the transformer would be 100v - losses in cables connecting generator to transformer

well the voltage on the transformer will be a little less than that at the generator but it solely depends on the length and wire used.

Now if you will put load on the transformer secondary that load will be reflected also in the pirmary side and felt at the generator too. As long as that load is within the limits of the generator and transformer you will not see any considerable change but if the load will get bigger you will probably see a voltage drop at the primary terminals and also at the generator because they are connected and all are affected.

Yes, you are correct. The input voltage at the transformer primary terminals should always be 100V, regardless of the load connected to the secondary. This is because the transformer acts as a voltage regulator, maintaining a constant input voltage regardless of changes in the load. However, it is important to note that there may be slight variations in the input voltage due to losses and other factors, but these should not significantly affect the overall input voltage.

1. What is the input voltage for a transformer?

The input voltage for a transformer can vary depending on the specific transformer. However, the most common input voltages for transformers are 120V or 240V in the United States, and 220V or 240V in Europe.

2. Can I use a transformer to convert 120V to 240V?

Yes, a transformer can be used to convert 120V to 240V. However, it is important to choose a transformer with the appropriate voltage rating to ensure safe and efficient operation.

3. How do I determine the input voltage for my transformer?

The input voltage for a transformer can usually be found on the transformer's label or in the manufacturer's specifications. If this information is not readily available, you can also measure the input voltage with a multimeter.

4. What happens if I use the wrong input voltage for my transformer?

Using the wrong input voltage for a transformer can result in damage to the transformer or the equipment it is powering. It is important to always use the correct input voltage to ensure safe and efficient operation.

5. Can I use a transformer to convert AC to DC?

Yes, some transformers have the ability to convert AC to DC. These transformers are known as AC-DC converters or rectifiers. However, not all transformers have this capability, so it is important to check the specifications before attempting to use a transformer for this purpose.