Transforming a summation into an anlytical expression

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an analytical expression for a given product using the Euler rule and finding expressions for certain sums. It is suggested to replace variables and use derivatives to solve the problem, resulting in a final expression of f(N,z) = (Ncos((N+1)z)-(N+1)cos(Nz)-N(N+1)cos(z) + 1 + N(N+1))/(2(cos(z)-1)^2).
leonardo2887
Hello everybody,

I have some problems in finding an analytical expression for this product:

[tex] \sum_{j=0}^{N}(N-j)e^{-ijy}\cdot\sum_{k=0}^{N}(N-k)e^{iky} [/tex].

I have solved the problem for several Ns, applying the Euler rule [itex]2\cos(x) = e^{ix} + e^{-ix}[/itex]

Now, I'm trying to express the product with some function (which would be valid for any N). I found that I can express the product as:

[tex] 2\sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N-j}(N-k)(N-j-k)\cos(jy) - \sum_{j=0}^{N}j^2 [/tex] which becomes

[tex] 2\sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N-j}(N^2 - 2Nk - Nj - jk + k^2)\cos(jy) - \sum_{j=0}^{N}j^2 [/tex]

I've found expressions for [itex]\sum j^2 = f(N) [/itex], for [itex]\sum\cos(ky) = f(N,y)[/itex], for [itex]\sum k\cos(ky) = f(N,y)[/itex] and I'm quite sure that I'll find also for [itex]\sum k^2\cos(ky)[/itex].

My question now is, are there some easy ways to develop the mixed terms [itex]\sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N-j}k\cos(jz)[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N-j}jk\cos(jz)[/itex].

Or eventually if you think it is easier to find an expression for [tex] \sum_{j=0}^{N}(N-j)e^{-ijy}\cdot\sum_{k=0}^{N}(N-k)e^{iky} = \sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N}(N-j)(N-k)e^{i(k-j)y}[/tex], which would also be a more elegant way to solve the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help and please apologise my bad english/math...

Leonardo

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sur to well understand the wording of the question and what you did.
My joint answer might be to easy :

Attachments

• Series.JPG
    Series.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 351
leonardo2887 said:
Hello everybody,

I have some problems in finding an analytical expression for this product:

[tex] \sum_{j=0}^{N}(N-j)e^{-ijy}\cdot\sum_{k=0}^{N}(N-k)e^{iky} [/tex].

I have solved the problem for several Ns, applying the Euler rule [itex]2\cos(x) = e^{ix} + e^{-ix}[/itex]

Now, I'm trying to express the product with some function (which would be valid for any N). I found that I can express the product as:

[tex] 2\sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N-j}(N-k)(N-j-k)\cos(jy) - \sum_{j=0}^{N}j^2 [/tex] which becomes

[tex] 2\sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N-j}(N^2 - 2Nk - Nj - jk + k^2)\cos(jy) - \sum_{j=0}^{N}j^2 [/tex]

I've found expressions for [itex]\sum j^2 = f(N) [/itex], for [itex]\sum\cos(ky) = f(N,y)[/itex], for [itex]\sum k\cos(ky) = f(N,y)[/itex] and I'm quite sure that I'll find also for [itex]\sum k^2\cos(ky)[/itex].

My question now is, are there some easy ways to develop the mixed terms [itex]\sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N-j}k\cos(jz)[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N-j}jk\cos(jz)[/itex].

Or eventually if you think it is easier to find an expression for [tex] \sum_{j=0}^{N}(N-j)e^{-ijy}\cdot\sum_{k=0}^{N}(N-k)e^{iky} = \sum_{j=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{N}(N-j)(N-k)e^{i(k-j)y}[/tex], which would also be a more elegant way to solve the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help and please apologise my bad english/math...

Leonardo
I would start by replacing j by j'=N-j and k by k'=N-k, also note that sums in both cases go from 1 to N.

Next note that Σkxk = xd/dx(Σxk) = xd/dx(1-xN)/(1-x))
Now evaluate the derivative and substitute e±iy for x in the appropriate expression.

Thank you very much, this seems to be the easiest, and also most elegant, solution.

Just the last question, the sum can also go from 0 to N? It should make no difference since for [itex] j = 0, j\cdot e^{ijx} = 0 [/itex]

Last edited:
leonardo2887 said:
Thank you very much, this seems to be the easiest, and also most elegant, solution.

Just the last question, the sum can also go from 0 to N? It should make no difference since for [itex] j = 0, j\cdot e^{ijx} = 0 [/itex]
You are right.

Maybe the solution can be useful to somebody:

the expression [tex] f(N,z) =\left(\sum_{j'=0}^{N}j'exp(-ij'z)\right)\left(\sum_{k'=0}^{N}j'exp(ik'z)\right) [/tex] was solved recalling that:
[tex]
\sum_{l=0}^Nle^{ly} = \sum_{l=0}^N\frac{\partial e^{ly}}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial{\sum_{l=0}^Ne^{ly}}}{\partial y}
[/tex] and that:
[tex]
\sum_{l=0}^Ne^{ly} = \frac{\sin\left(\frac{N+1}{2}y\right)} {\sin\left(\frac{y}{2}\right)}e^{\frac{N}{2}y}
[/tex]

which leads to a final result of:

[tex]
f(N,z) = \frac{N\cos\left((N+1)z\right)-(N+1)\cos(Nz)-N(N+1)\cos{z} + 1 + N(N+1)}{2(\cos{z}-1)^2}
[/tex]

Related to Transforming a summation into an anlytical expression

1. What is a summation and how is it different from an analytical expression?

A summation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It is typically written using the sigma (∑) symbol. An analytical expression, on the other hand, is a mathematical formula that represents a relationship between variables. It can be used to evaluate different values for the variables and obtain a numerical result.

2. Why would someone want to transform a summation into an analytical expression?

Transforming a summation into an analytical expression can make it easier to manipulate and solve mathematically. It can also provide a more concise and general representation of the sum, allowing for a better understanding of the underlying relationship between the terms in the series.

3. What are the steps involved in transforming a summation into an analytical expression?

The first step is to identify the pattern of the terms in the summation. Then, use algebraic manipulation and properties of summations to rewrite the series in a more simplified and general form. Finally, replace the summation notation with the appropriate operation (e.g. ∑i = n becomes n(n+1)/2).

4. Are there any limitations or restrictions when transforming a summation into an analytical expression?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions to consider. For example, not all summations can be transformed into analytical expressions, especially those with infinitely many terms. Additionally, the series must follow a specific pattern and have a finite number of terms in order for the transformation to be valid.

5. Can software or calculators be used to transform a summation into an analytical expression?

Yes, there are many computer programs and calculators that have the capability to transform summations into analytical expressions. Some may require specific commands or functions to be used, while others may have built-in algorithms for this purpose. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts involved in the transformation in order to check the accuracy of the results.