Transistor radio/kWh problem

• Thread starter wakefreak90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, to operate a transistor radio using a 10.0 V battery for 300 hours at a cost of $0.55 per battery, the cost per kWh is 3.819 dollars. If the same radio is plugged into a household circuit at a cost of 6¢ per kWh, the cost to operate it for 300 hours is 41.666 cents. This calculation is based on converting the current from mA to A and the power from W to kW, and then finding the total energy consumption in kWh.
wakefreak90
**Transistor radio/kWh problem**

A transistor radio operates by means of a 10.0 V battery that supplies it with a 48 mA current.

(a) If the cost of the battery is $0.55 and it lasts for 300 h, what is the cost per kWh to operate the radio in this manner?
3.819 dollars/kWh

(b) The same radio, by means of a converter, is plugged into a household circuit by a homeowner who pays 6¢ per kWh. What does it now cost to operate the radio for 300 h?
? cents

I got Question A but I have tried everything on Question B and I do not understand what I am doing wrong. For some reason, I think it is easier than what I'm trying to do.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Work out the number of kilowatt hours and multiply by 6.Note that the question gives the current in mA and not A and note also the the power must be expressed in kW and not W.

So if one kWh = 3.6E6 J, and the total energy is 518,400 J..

(3.6E6)/(518400) = 6.9444

--> (6.9444)(6) = 41.666

Is 41.666 cents the answer? I only have two more tries left and I don't want to get it wrong. I'm not sure if those are the correct unit conversions

W=10*48/1000
kW=above/1000
kWh=above*300
cost=above*6

What is a transistor radio?

A transistor radio is a type of portable radio that uses transistor technology to amplify and receive radio signals. It was first introduced in the 1950s and quickly became a popular alternative to the larger and more expensive vacuum tube radios.

How does a transistor radio work?

A transistor radio works by using transistors, which are tiny electronic devices that can amplify and switch electronic signals. These transistors are used to receive and amplify radio signals, allowing the user to tune into different radio stations.

What is the kWh problem with transistor radios?

The kWh problem with transistor radios refers to the fact that many older transistor radios were not very energy efficient and would drain a significant amount of power from batteries. This led to concerns about the environmental impact of producing and disposing of these batteries.

How has the kWh problem been addressed in transistor radios?

In recent years, there have been advancements in transistor technology that have allowed for more energy efficient radios. Additionally, many newer transistor radios also have the option to be powered by rechargeable batteries or by plugging into an electrical outlet, reducing the need for disposable batteries.

Are transistor radios still relevant today?

Despite the rise of digital media and streaming services, transistor radios are still popular for their portability and simplicity. They are often used for emergency situations, outdoor activities, and in areas with limited access to electricity. Additionally, vintage transistor radios have become collectible items for enthusiasts.