Transition between Quantum Mechanics and QFT

In summary, the conversation is about the transition from studying quantum mechanics to quantum field theory, specifically the book "Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin and Schroeder. The speaker mentions that they are familiar with the basics of Klein-Gordon equation but want to know if there are any intermediate steps they may have missed. They also mention other recommended books and resources for studying QFT. The conversation also touches on the representation theory of the Poincare group and suggests additional reading materials for understanding Lagrangians.
Silviu
Hello! I just started reading a book about QFT by Peskin (it was recommended by one of my physics professor and I saw that MIT course on QFT also uses it). However they start right away with Klein-Gordon equation suggesting that I should be familiar with it. I took 2 classes on quantum mechanics (in which I finished the Griffith book) and I was mentioned about Klein-Gordon equation a bit (just that it is a relativistic form of Schrodinger equation and some basic stuff) but I didn't do anything deep about it. I was wondering what should I read to be able to make the transition from Quantum Mechanics to QFT? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you have trouble with Peskin and Schroeder? It should be ok, if you have attended QM1. You can ask questions in the quantum forum here at PF.

vanhees71 said:
Where do you have trouble with Peskin and Schroeder? It should be ok, if you have attended QM1. You can ask questions in the quantum forum here at PF.
It is not that I have problems in understanding. They explain stuff pretty clear, the thing is that many times they put it like: "You should be familiar with this, but we will still describe it briefly here". For example the lagrangian associated with KG equation is not hard to understand, but they suggest that I should have already known it, from my QM class, which I don't. I was just wondering if there is any intermediate step that I missed. Thank you!

Don't worry about such "pedagogical" talk. As long as you understand it, it's fine. As I said, one great thing of this forum is that you can ask questions, and maybe somebody can help.

@Silviu there's no link between QM and QFT nowadays, for the fail of specially relativistic Quantum Mechanics is not a subject of too many books. It might seem that the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian density is pulled out of the hat, but if you already know the field equations, then there's little room for the Lagrangian density. The standard requirements: real function of fields, cannot contain 3 derivatives (the field equations have only 2), must be local (the field and its derivatives must be evaluated at the same spacetime point).

The book by Peskin and Schroeder is a standard in teaching, but I think a shorter book could also serve good and clear explanations. Lewis Ryder wrote a good book, and also Pierre Ramond.

Likes vanhees71
If the question is, why the Lagrangians look as they look, then one has to study the representation theory of the Poincare group. Wigner's original paper is already very readable:

E. P. Wigner, On Unitary Representations of the Inhomgeneous Lorentz Group, Annals of Mathematics, 40 (1939), p. 149.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0920-5632(89)90402-7

Then there's a very good treatment in Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, vol. 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory (QFT)?

Quantum Mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale, while Quantum Field Theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of fields on a macroscopic scale. QFT is an extension of Quantum Mechanics that takes into account the interactions between particles and their associated fields.

2. Why is there a need for a transition between Quantum Mechanics and QFT?

Quantum Mechanics successfully describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale, but it fails to accurately describe the behavior of particles at high energies and in the presence of strong interactions. QFT provides a more comprehensive framework that can accurately describe these phenomena.

3. How does QFT incorporate the principles of Quantum Mechanics?

QFT is built upon the principles of Quantum Mechanics, such as superposition and wave-particle duality. It extends these principles to include the interactions between particles and fields, allowing for a more complete understanding of the behavior of particles.

4. What are some key concepts in QFT that differ from Quantum Mechanics?

One key concept in QFT is the idea of quantizing fields, which allows for the creation and annihilation of particles. Another key concept is renormalization, which takes into account the effects of virtual particles on the behavior of particles at high energies.

5. How is the transition between Quantum Mechanics and QFT applied in scientific research?

The transition between Quantum Mechanics and QFT is applied in a variety of fields, such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum information theory. It is used to study the behavior of particles and fields in different physical systems and to develop new technologies based on quantum principles.