Transmittance: Conflicting definitions?

In summary, the conversation discusses two conflicting definitions of transmittance in optics-based topics. The first definition is the ratio of monochromatic flux transmitted through a medium to the monochromatic flux incident upon the surface. The second definition is the ratio of monochromatic irradiance transmitted to incident monochromatic irradiance. These definitions are equivalent if flux is constant over the surface area, but in the general case, they differ due to the derivative of flux with respect to surface area. It is important to consider the context of these definitions and whether the author has derived an equivalent math that is valid for specific circumstances.
SMc21
Not sure if this is in the right section, but I'm not sure where else it would fit.

I'm currently researching a variety of optics-based topics, and I'm a bit confused by what appear to be some conflicting definitions of transmittance. I've seen the following:

1) It's the ratio of monochromatic flux (i.e. flux per unit wavelength, in W nm-1) transmitted through a medium to the monochromatic flux incident upon the surface. Mathematically:

T(λ) = [itex]\frac{\Phi^{λ}}{\Phi_{0}^{λ}}[/itex]

2) It's the ratio of monochromatic irradiance (in W m-2 nm-1) transmitted to incident monochromatic irradiance. Mathematically:

T(λ) = [itex]\frac{E^{λ}}{E_{0}^{λ}}[/itex]
Now, if flux is constant across the surface of the medium, then obviously E[itex]^{λ}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\Phi^{λ}}{S}[/itex], where S is the surface area of the medium receiving the light. Then Equation 2 reduces to Equation 1, and the definitions are equivalent.

However, in the general case (not assuming that flux is constant over the surface area), E[itex]^{λ}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d\Phi^{λ}}{dS}[/itex]. Then Equation 2 becomes

T(λ) = ([itex]\frac{d\Phi^{λ}}{dS}[/itex]) [itex]/[/itex] ([itex]\frac{d\Phi_{0}^{λ}}{dS}[/itex])Thus, in the general case, transmittance is either the ratio of transmitted monochromatic flux to incident monochromatic flux, or the ratio of their derivatives with respect to surface area.
Are these two definitions not at odds with each other? Do we assume that the two ratios described above are equivalent? If so, what justifies that assumption? Or am I missing something in my understanding here?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It may well be that there are situations where the definitions are at odds with each other - it is not terribly uncommon for a definition to change with the context: there are only 1,019,729.6 words in the English language and the easy ones are already taken.

You should go back to the context of the different definitions and see if the author has derived an equivalent maths that is valid for the specific circumstances they are talking about.

1. What is transmittance and how is it defined?

Transmittance is a measure of the amount of light that passes through a material. It is defined as the ratio of the transmitted light intensity to the incident light intensity, expressed as a percentage.

2. Can transmittance have conflicting definitions?

Yes, transmittance can have conflicting definitions when different units are used to measure light intensity. For example, some definitions may use the intensity in watts per square meter, while others may use the intensity in photons per second.

3. How does transmittance differ from absorbance?

Transmittance and absorbance are inversely related. Transmittance measures the amount of light that passes through a material, while absorbance measures the amount of light that is absorbed by a material. They are related by the equation: Absorbance = -log10(Transmittance).

4. What factors can affect transmittance?

Transmittance can be affected by the thickness and composition of the material, as well as the wavelength of the incident light. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also impact transmittance.

5. Why is transmittance an important concept in science?

Transmittance is an important concept in science because it allows us to quantify and understand how light interacts with materials. It is used in a variety of fields, including chemistry, physics, and environmental science, to study the properties and behavior of different materials.