Transverse Wave speed and acceleration

In summary, the transverse wave on a string is described by the function y = 0.25 sin [(4π/8) + 4πt]. The speed of the wave at t = 2sec is equal to the angular frequency divided by the wave number. The acceleration at t = 2sec is 0, as the argument of the function is constant for a transverse wave.
ironlee

Homework Statement

A Transverse wave on a string is described by this function :

y=.25(meters) sin[[tex]\frac{\pi(4)}{8}[/tex] + [tex]\pi[/tex]4t]

a.) Find the speed of the wave at t= 2sec

b.) Find the acceleration at t= 2sec

Homework Equations

y=.25 sin[[tex]\frac{\pi(4)}{8}[/tex] + 4[tex]\pi[/tex]t]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried taking the derivative with respect to t, but man I can't figure it out for the love of god and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I doubted myself so much I don't even know if I need to take the derivative.

P.S. at the end of the equation its 4 * pi * t (not 4 to the power of Pi) and its .25 meters

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you meant to write

[tex]0.25 \sin{\left(\frac{4\pi}{8}+4\pi t\right)}[/tex]

because there isn't any spatial coordinate in that wave function.

Either way, for a transverse wave, the argument of the function is constant, so

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(kx-\omega t\right)=k\frac{dx}{dt}-\omega=\frac{d}{dt}C=0[/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex] is the wave number and [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency. Therefore the velocity is [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\omega}{k}[/tex]

Thank you so much! That'll be it, makes sense and yeah, that is what I meant to write. My problem was I couldn't remember which were constant. Thanks again!

Oh ok, great, I thought that's what you meant. Glad to help.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a transverse wave?

The formula for calculating the speed of a transverse wave is v = λ * f, where v is the wave speed, λ (lambda) is the wavelength, and f is the frequency of the wave.

How does the amplitude of a transverse wave affect its speed?

The amplitude of a transverse wave does not affect its speed. The speed of a transverse wave is determined by the medium through which it is traveling and is independent of the wave's amplitude.

Can the speed of a transverse wave be faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of a transverse wave cannot be faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is the maximum speed at which any form of energy, including waves, can travel in a vacuum.

What factors can affect the acceleration of a transverse wave?

The acceleration of a transverse wave can be affected by the medium through which it is traveling, the frequency and wavelength of the wave, and any external forces acting on the medium.

Is the speed of a transverse wave constant?

The speed of a transverse wave is constant in a uniform medium, meaning it does not change as the wave travels through the medium. However, the speed may vary if the wave encounters different mediums or external forces.