1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse Wave speed and acceleration

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Transverse wave on a string is described by this function :

y=.25(meters) sin[[tex]\frac{\pi(4)}{8}[/tex] + [tex]\pi[/tex]4t]

a.) Find the speed of the wave at t= 2sec

b.) Find the acceleration at t= 2sec

2. Relevant equations

y=.25 sin[[tex]\frac{\pi(4)}{8}[/tex] + 4[tex]\pi[/tex]t]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried taking the derivative with respect to t, but man I can't figure it out for the love of god and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I doubted myself so much I don't even know if I need to take the derivative.

P.S. at the end of the equation its 4 * pi * t (not 4 to the power of Pi) and its .25 meters

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2
    Are you sure you meant to write

[tex]0.25 \sin{\left(\frac{4\pi}{8}+4\pi t\right)}[/tex]

because there isn't any spatial coordinate in that wave function.

Either way, for a transverse wave, the argument of the function is constant, so

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(kx-\omega t\right)=k\frac{dx}{dt}-\omega=\frac{d}{dt}C=0[/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex] is the wave number and [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency. Therefore the velocity is [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\omega}{k}[/tex]

4. Mar 13, 2009 #3
    Thank you so much! That'll be it, makes sense and yeah, that is what I meant to write. My problem was I couldn't remember which were constant. Thanks again!

5. Mar 13, 2009 #4
    Oh ok, great, I thought that's what you meant. Glad to help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook