Tree diagram to second derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of formulating the second derivative using a tree diagram, similar to the way the first derivative is derived. The conversation mentions a paper that discusses higher order partial derivatives and how they can be calculated using the product rule. The conversation also mentions the use of a tree diagram to calculate derivatives with respect to two variables, which is considered to be more difficult and less intuitive.
Jhenrique
Is it possible to formulate the second derivate trough of a tree diagram, as we do with a first derivative? If yes, how do it?

attachment.php?attachmentid=64310&stc=1&d=1385521171.jpg

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial w}\left(\frac{\partial w}{\partial q}\frac{\partial q}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial w}{\partial p}\frac{\partial p}{\partial t}\right )\right )[/tex]

Edit: example: suppose you need to make the second partial derivative ∂²f/∂s∂t

Attachments

• imagem.JPG
    imagem.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 680
Physics news on Phys.org
I was sleepy when wrote this topic, sorry!

My ask is: Is it possible to formulate the frist derivate trough of a tree diagram, so that, start at f and finish at t, multiplicand all derivatives contained in this path and adding all paths with this same process (I think/hope you already know how do it). So, how can we do to derive twice (with respect to different variables) using a tree driagm as tool? Is it possible?

Yep it is possible, this is a paper I came across some time ago when looking for the same answer.

http://www.sefi.be/conference-2012/Papers/Papers/030.pdf

Starts talking about higher order partial derivatives at bottom of page 3. It's a clever use of the product rule.

Interesting! But, hard and not intuitive...

Start with the first figure, where z is a function of x and y, and x and y are each functions of s and t. Then z has a partial with respect to s and a partial with respect to t.

The partial of z w.r.t. (with respect to) s involves both paths from z to s. The things along a given path are multiplied, and the resulting products of the two paths are added.

So,
$$ \frac{\partial z}{\partial s} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial s} $$

The first term in the sum represents the path from z through x to s; the second term represents the path from z through y to s.

Calculating ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}## would be done in a similar manner.

Figure 2 in the linked document is doing the same thing as in Figure 1, except that it reproduces the nodes at s and t to spread the figure out.

This I already know! What I don't know is w.r.t. to 2 variables. This I think hard

What is a tree diagram to second derivative?

A tree diagram to second derivative is a graphical representation of the second derivative of a function. It shows the rate of change of the rate of change of a function, or the curvature of the function.

Why is a tree diagram to second derivative important in scientific research?

A tree diagram to second derivative can help scientists understand the behavior and properties of a function. It can also be used to analyze and compare different functions, and identify critical points such as inflection points and maximum or minimum values.

How is a tree diagram to second derivative created?

To create a tree diagram to second derivative, you first need to find the first derivative of the function. Then, using the derivative, you can find the second derivative and plot it on a graph. The graph will show the rate of change of the original function, as well as the concavity and direction of the curve.

What can a tree diagram to second derivative tell us about a function?

A tree diagram to second derivative can provide information about the behavior and properties of a function, such as its increasing or decreasing intervals, inflection points, and maximum or minimum values. It can also help identify the presence of symmetry or asymmetry in the function.

Are there any limitations to using a tree diagram to second derivative?

While a tree diagram to second derivative can provide valuable insights into a function, it does have limitations. It cannot fully depict the behavior of a function, as it only shows the second derivative. Additionally, it may not be applicable to functions with discontinuities or those that cannot be differentiated.