Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tree diagram to second derivative

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    Is it possible to formulate the second derivate trough of a tree diagram, as we do with a first derivative? If yes, how do it?

attachment.php?attachmentid=64310&stc=1&d=1385521171.jpg

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial w}\left(\frac{\partial w}{\partial q}\frac{\partial q}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial w}{\partial p}\frac{\partial p}{\partial t}\right )\right )[/tex]

Edit: example: suppose you need to make the second partial derivative ∂²f/∂s∂t

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2
    I was sleepy when wrote this topic, sorry!

My ask is: Is it possible to formulate the frist derivate trough of a tree diagram, so that, start at f and finish at t, multiplicand all derivatives contained in this path and adding all paths with this same process (I think/hope you already know how do it). So, how can we do to derive twice (with respect to different variables) using a tree driagm as tool? Is it possible?

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3
    Yep it is possible, this is a paper I came across some time ago when looking for the same answer.

http://www.sefi.be/conference-2012/Papers/Papers/030.pdf

Starts talking about higher order partial derivatives at bottom of page 3. It's a clever use of the product rule.

5. Dec 2, 2013 #4
    Interesting! But, hard and not intuitive...

6. Dec 2, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Start with the first figure, where z is a function of x and y, and x and y are each functions of s and t. Then z has a partial with respect to s and a partial with respect to t.

The partial of z w.r.t. (with respect to) s involves both paths from z to s. The things along a given path are multiplied, and the resulting products of the two paths are added.

So,
    $$ \frac{\partial z}{\partial s} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial s} $$

The first term in the sum represents the path from z through x to s; the second term represents the path from z through y to s.

Calculating ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}## would be done in a similar manner.

Figure 2 in the linked document is doing the same thing as in Figure 1, except that it reproduces the nodes at s and t to spread the figure out.

7. Dec 3, 2013 #6
    This I already know! What I dont know is w.r.t. to 2 variables. This I think hard

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook