1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle inequality metric space

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex](X,\theta)[/itex] be a metric space. Take [itex] K > 0 [/itex]and define.

[itex]\theta : X \cross X \rightarrow \real_{0}^{+}[/itex], [itex](x,y)\rightarrow \frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]

Show that [itex](X,\theta)[/itex] is a metric space.

2. Relevant equations

can someone please check my triangle inequality?

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\phi(x,z) \leq \frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]

[itex]\leq \mid \frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}\mid + \mid \frac{K\phi(y,z)}{1+K\phi(y,z)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]= \mid \frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)} + \frac{K\phi(y,z)}{1+K\phi(y,z)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]=\phi(x,y)+\phi(y,z)[/itex]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

apologies if I'm missing something.. but what is [itex]\phi(x,y)[/itex]?

and shouldn't you be trying to show the triangle inequality holds for [itex]\theta(x,y)[/itex]?

4. Jun 3, 2010 #3
    Yeah your right it is a typo the metric space should be [itex](X,\phi)[/itex]

so triangle inequality is

[itex]\phi(x,y) \leq \frac{K\phi(x,)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]
    [itex]\leq \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)}\mid + \mid \frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]= \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)} + \frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]=\phi(x,z)+\phi(z,y)[/itex]

5. Jun 4, 2010 #4
    Is it ok now?

6. Jun 4, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To show that [itex](X, \phi)[/itex] is a metric space, you need to show:
    1) [itex]\phi(x, y) = 0~\text{iff}~x = y[/itex]
    2) [itex]\phi(x, y) = \phi(y, x)[/itex]
    3) [itex]\phi(x, y) + \phi(y, z) \geq \phi(x, z)[/itex]

Presumably you have already shown 1 and 2 and are working on 3 here (with some corrections).

[tex]\phi(x,y) = \frac{K\phi(x, y)}{1+K\phi(x, y)}[/tex]
    In the line above, it should be =, by how phi(x, y) is defined in post #1, although how it is defined is hazy, since phi(x, y) is defined in terms of itself.

How do you get to the next line? What's the justification here?
    [tex]\leq \mid \frac{K\phi(x, z)}{1+K\phi(x, z)}\mid + \mid \frac{K\phi(z, y)}{1+K\phi(z, y)}\mid[/tex]

7. Jun 4, 2010 #6
    I hope this clears it up. Sorry I'm not to good at latex.

Let[itex](X,\phi)[/itex]be a metric space. Take [itex] K > 0 [/itex]and define.
    [itex]\theta : X \cross X \rightarrow \real_{0}^{+}[/itex],[itex](x,y)\rightarrow\frac{K\phi(x,y)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]

show that [itex](X,\theta)[/itex]is a metric

so the triangle inequality
    [itex]\theta(x,y) = \frac{K\phi(x,)}{1+K\phi(x,y)}[/itex]
    [itex]\leq \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)}\mid + \mid

\frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]
    [itex]= \mid \frac{K\phi(x,z)}{1+K\phi(x,z)} +

\frac{K\phi(z,y)}{1+K\phi(z,y)}\mid[/itex]

[itex]=\phi(x,z)+\phi(z,y)[/itex]

My justification is because I was given that [itex](X,\phi)[/itex] was a metric

space, we know that [itex]\phi(x,y)[/itex] is non negative. That in turn with [itex]

K > 0 [/itex] ensures that [itex]\theta : X \cross X \rightarrow

\real_{0}^{+}[/itex] is a well defined non negative function.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  8. Jun 4, 2010 #7
    It suppose to be
    show
    [itex](X,\theta)[/itex]
    is a mertic

9. Jun 4, 2010 #8

Mark44

OK, I think I understand what you're trying to say, now. You are given that [itex](X, \phi)[/itex] is a metric space (which means that [itex]\phi[/itex] is a metric).

There is another function [itex]\theta[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex]: X x X --> [0, [itex]\infty[/itex]), with K > 0 and
    [tex]\theta(x, y) = \frac{K\phi(x, y)}{1 + K\phi(x, y)}[/tex]

You are trying to show that [itex]\theta[/itex] is a metric (not mertic), which is the same as saying that [itex](X, \theta)[/itex] is a metric space. (A metric space is a set together with a function that measures distance between elements of the set.) Part of the definition of a metric is that it is nonnegative, so you don't need the absolute values. The other parts of the definition I showed in post 5.

Since [itex]\phi[/itex] is a metric, it satisfies the triangle inequality. I see that you are trying to work this into your proof, but what you have doesn't look right to me. Certainly you can say that [itex]\phi(x, y) \leq \phi(x, z) + \phi(z, y)[/itex], but you also have [itex]\phi(x, y)[/itex] in the denominator, and you can't just substitute things in directly. Getting this right will require some more thought.

10. Jun 4, 2010 #9

lanedance

Homework Helper

i think Mark's onto it now, but i have to say the fact that there are 2 different posters & theta and phi have been interchanged (incorrectly as i read it now) in every post has made it pretty confusing...

11. Jun 4, 2010 #10

Mark44

Amen to that, lanedance!

12. Jun 4, 2010 #11
    Sorry I'm getting lost here. Do I need to somehow get [itex]\phi(x, y)[/itex] out of the denominator?

13. Jun 4, 2010 #12

Mark44

You can use the fact that [itex]\phi[/itex] is a metric to say this:
    [tex]K\phi(x, y) \leq K\phi(x, z) + K\phi(z, y)[/tex]

because [itex]\phi[/itex] satisfies the triangle inequality.

But you can't just say that
    [tex]\frac{K\phi(x, y)}{1+K\phi(x, y)} \leq \frac{K\phi(x, z)}{1+K\phi(x, z)} + \frac{K\phi(z, y)}{1+K\phi(z, y)}[/tex]

without some justification, particular regarding those denominators.

14. Jun 5, 2010 #13
    But isn't the justification that if K >0 and
    [tex]K\phi(x, y) [/tex] is a metric thats non negative

That it can't be > [tex] \frac{K\phi(x, z)}{1+K\phi(x, z)} + \frac{K\phi(z, y)}{1+K\phi(z, y)}[/tex]?

You've got that the denominator = at least 1. So if x = z the function is 0.

15. Jun 5, 2010 #14

Mark44

No, there's more to it than that. And it's not [itex]K\phi(x, y) [/itex] that is a metric - [itex]\phi [/itex] is a metric, so [itex]\phi(x, y) \geq 0[/itex] for any x and y in X.

It's easy enough to show that [itex]\theta(x, y) \geq 0 [/itex] because of how [itex]\theta(x, y)[/itex] is defined.

Have you already proved that [itex]\theta(x, y) = 0[/itex] iff x = y? Have you already proved that [itex]\theta(x, y) = \theta(y, x)[/itex]?

If so, then you still need to prove that [itex]\theta(x, y) \leq \theta(x, z) + \theta(z, y)[/itex]. The expression you have in post #13 is equal to [itex]\theta(x, z) + \theta(z, y)[/itex]. You need to show that this value is >= [itex]\theta(x, y)[/itex].

16. Jun 5, 2010 #15
    @boneill3: Can you explain in more detail what is confusing you? It took some work, but I've convinced myself that θ is a metric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook