1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangular inequality

1. Dec 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, I would just like someone to go over my method for this derivation/proof ( not sure of the right word to use here). Anyway I think this is right method, but just feel like I am missing something. Could someone please check my method. Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations
    $$|x|= x\geq 0 , -x < 0 $$

$$|a-b|\leq|a|-|b|$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    By using the formal definition of the absolute value I get this:

1.$$-|a|\leq a\leq |a|$$
    2.$$-|b|\leq b\leq |b|$$

1-2: $$-(|a|-|b|)\leq a-b \leq |a|-|b| $$

Therefore I get: $$|a-b|\leq|a|-|b|$$

Is this correct? Is there any improvements that anyone could share. I do have a couple more variations of the triangle inequality to go through but want to try the first before posting.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is incorrect. Look at the case ##a=1, b=2##, or better still, the case ##a=1, b=-2##.

4. Dec 28, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The first line under "relevant equations" looks odd and the second one is wrong.

You cannot subtract inequalities like that. As an example, 4<5 and 3<7, but 4-3 < 5-7 is wrong.

5. Dec 28, 2016 #4
    I wish the section for the problem statement were filled out explicitly.

6. Dec 29, 2016 #5
    @mfb and @Ray Vickson have already pointed out your mistakes. I just want to add a bit to mfb's reply.

Inequalities with same "symbol" can be added and inequalities with "different symbol" can be subtracted from one another and not the other way around.
    Like ## 13 < 42## and ## -42 < -1 ## can be added to produce ##-29 < 41## and ## 42 > 13 ## and ## -42 < -1 ## can be subtracted to produce ##84 > 14##.
    When subtracting the symbol of inequality from which the other is subtracted will be the symbol of the resultant inequality.

7. Dec 29, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can make an addition out of the subtraction:

##-42 < -1## is equivalent to (edit: fixed) ##42 > 1## (reverse the sign on both sides, reverse the direction of the inequality), and that can be added to ##42>13## to ##84>14##.

And if you don't like the first step, split it in substeps:
    ##a<b##
    subtract a on both sides
    ##0 < b-a##
    subtract b on both sides
    ##-b < -a##
    Now write it in the other direction:
    ## -a > -b##.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  8. Dec 31, 2016 #7
    First thanks for the response and I see the error I made. I have also notice that I put the inequity the wrong way round sorry. So I have had another attempt at the solution which is below:

Prove: $$|a|-|b|\leq|a-b|$$

Attempt:$$a=a-b+b$$
    $$|a|=|a-b+b|$$

Using triangle inequity

$$|a|\leq|a-b|+|b|$$
    $$|a|-|b|\leq|a-b|$$

9. Dec 31, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted