Triangular Matrix RIngs .... Lam, Proposition 1.17

In summary, the conversation focused on proving Part (1) of Proposition 1.17, which states that ##I_1 \oplus I_2## is a left ideal of ##A##. The conversation included a possible solution to the problem, with the experts critiquing and confirming the approach. The final solution involved showing that ##I_1## and ##I_2## are closed under addition and multiplication to prove that ##I_1 \oplus I_2## is a left ideal of ##A##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading T. Y. Lam's book, "A First Course in Noncommutative Rings" (Second Edition) and am currently focussed on Section 1:Basic Terminology and Examples ...

I need help with Part (1) of Proposition 1.17 ... ...

Proposition 1.17 (together with related material from Example 1.14 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=c2ab6f278b1ec79fc4e34ad95cf673a9.png

Can someone please help me to prove Part (1) of the proposition ... that is that ##I_1 \oplus I_2## is a left ideal of A ... ...

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Lam - 1 - Example 1.14  -  Including Propn 1.17  -  PART 1    ....png
    Lam - 1 - Example 1.14 - Including Propn 1.17 - PART 1 ....png
    61.5 KB · Views: 901
  • Lam - 2 - Example 1.14  -  Including Propn 1.17  -  PART 2    ....png
    Lam - 2 - Example 1.14 - Including Propn 1.17 - PART 2 ....png
    32.7 KB · Views: 615
  • Lam - 3 - Example 1.14  -  Including Propn 1.17  -  PART 3    ....png
    Lam - 3 - Example 1.14 - Including Propn 1.17 - PART 3 ....png
    32.9 KB · Views: 612
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try? What is it that you need to prove? What is the definition of a left ideal? What happens when you try to prove this definition in this case?

I have been reflecting on the problem I posed ... here is my 'solution' ... Note: I am quite unsure of this ...

Problem ... Let ##I = I_1 \oplus I_2## where ##I_1## is a left ideal of ##S## and ##I_2## is a left submodule of ##R \oplus M## ...

Show ##I## is a left ideal of ##A##
Let ##a \in I##, then there exists ##a_1 \in I_1## and ##a_2 \in I_2## such that ##a = (a_1, a_2) \in I##

[ ... ... actually ##a_2 = (c_1, c_2) \in R \oplus M## but we ignore this complication in order to keep notation simple ... ]Similarly let ##b \in I## so ##b = (b_1, b_2) \in I## ... ...
Now ... if ##I## is a left ideal then

##a, b \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ a - b \in I##

and

##r \in A## and ##a \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ ra \in I##--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To show ##a, b \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ a - b \in I##
Let ##a,b \in I##

then ##a - b = (a_1, a_2) - (b_1, b_2)## where ##a_1, b_1 \in S## and ##a_2, b_2 \in R \oplus M##

so, ##a - b = (a_1 - b_1, a_2 - b_2)##

But ... ##a_1 - b_1 \in I_1## since ##I_1## is an ideal in ##S##

and ... ##a_2 - b_2 \in I_2## since ##I_2## is a left sub-module of ##A##

hence ##(a_1 - b_1, a_2 - b_2) = a - b \in I##------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------To show ##r \in A \text{ and } a \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ ra \in I##
Now ... ##r \in A## and ##a \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ ra = r(a_1, a_2) = (ra_1, ra_2)## [I hope this is correct!]

But ##ra_1 \in I_1## since ##I_1## is a left ideal ...

and ##ra_2 \in I_2## since ##I_2## is a left ##R##-submodule ...

Hence ##(ra_1, ra_2) = ra \in I##-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above shows that I is a left ideal ... I think ...

Comments critiquing the above analysis and/or pointing out errors are more than welcome ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
I have been reflecting on the problem I posed ... here is my 'solution' ... Note: I am quite unsure of this ...

Problem ... Let ##I = I_1 \oplus I_2## where ##I_1## is a left ideal of ##S## and ##I_2## is a left submodule of ##R \oplus M## ...

Show ##I## is a left ideal of ##A##
Let ##a \in I##, then there exists ##a_1 \in I_1## and ##a_2 \in I_2## such that ##a = (a_1, a_2) \in I##

[ ... ... actually ##a_2 = (c_1, c_2) \in R \oplus M## but we ignore this complication in order to keep notation simple ... ]Similarly let ##b \in I## so ##b = (b_1, b_2) \in I## ... ...
Now ... if ##I## is a left ideal then

##a, b \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ a - b \in I##

and

##r \in A## and ##a \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ ra \in I##--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To show ##a, b \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ a - b \in I##
Let ##a,b \in I##

then ##a - b = (a_1, a_2) - (b_1, b_2)## where ##a_1, b_1 \in S## and ##a_2, b_2 \in R \oplus M##

so, ##a - b = (a_1 - b_1, a_2 - b_2)##

But ... ##a_1 - b_1 \in I_1## since ##I_1## is an ideal in ##S##

and ... ##a_2 - b_2 \in I_2## since ##I_2## is a left sub-module of ##A##

hence ##(a_1 - b_1, a_2 - b_2) = a - b \in I##------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------To show ##r \in A \text{ and } a \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ ra \in I##
Now ... ##r \in A## and ##a \in I \ \Longrightarrow \ ra = r(a_1, a_2) = (ra_1, ra_2)## [I hope this is correct!]

But ##ra_1 \in I_1## since ##I_1## is a left ideal ...

and ##ra_2 \in I_2## since ##I_2## is a left ##R##-submodule ...

Hence ##(ra_1, ra_2) = ra \in I##-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above shows that I is a left ideal ... I think ...

Comments critiquing the above analysis and/or pointing out errors are more than welcome ...

Peter
Yes, I don't see anything wrong. And, yes, ##r(a_1,a_2) = (ra_1,ra_2)##. Remember that you wrote ##a_1 + a_2## as ##(a_1,a_2)##.
I would have used a more general approach, i.e. not with single elements, but it's been a good exercise though.
Addition is clear, because addition is component-wise and the components are closed under addition (ideal and module).
And multiplication goes
$$ \begin{bmatrix}R && M \\ 0 && S\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} I_1 \\ I_2\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}RI_1 + MI_2 \\ S I_2\end{bmatrix} \subseteq \begin{bmatrix}I_1 + I_1 \\ I_2 \end{bmatrix}\subseteq \begin{bmatrix}I_1 \\ I_2 \end{bmatrix}$$
I guess this is also used for the converse direction. Comparison of the second component (plus a similar equation for addition) gives you immediately that ##I_2 \subseteq S## has to be a left ideal, so only the first component with a few conditions more needs to be examined.

Likes Math Amateur
Sorry for late reply, fresh_42 ... been traveling ...

So grateful for your help on this matter ...

Reflecting on what you have said ...

Peter

fresh_42 said:
Yes, I don't see anything wrong. And, yes, ##r(a_1,a_2) = (ra_1,ra_2)##. Remember that you wrote ##a_1 + a_2## as ##(a_1,a_2)##.
I would have used a more general approach, i.e. not with single elements, but it's been a good exercise though.
Addition is clear, because addition is component-wise and the components are closed under addition (ideal and module).
And multiplication goes
$$ \begin{bmatrix}R && M \\ 0 && S\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix} I_1 \\ I_2\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}RI_1 + MI_2 \\ S I_2\end{bmatrix} \subseteq \begin{bmatrix}I_1 + I_1 \\ I_2 \end{bmatrix}\subseteq \begin{bmatrix}I_1 \\ I_2 \end{bmatrix}$$
I guess this is also used for the converse direction. Comparison of the second component (plus a similar equation for addition) gives you immediately that ##I_2 \subseteq S## has to be a left ideal, so only the first component with a few conditions more needs to be examined.
fresh_42 said:
And multiplication goes
Thanks again for your help, fresh_42 ...

You write:

"... ... And, yes, ##r(a_1,a_2) = (ra_1,ra_2)##. Remember that you wrote ##a_1 + a_2## as ##(a_1,a_2)##. ... ... My justification for doing this was that the direct sum and the direct product are isomorphic for finite cases in rings/modules ... is this correct?You also wrote:

"... ... I would have used a more general approach, i.e. not with single elements ... ...

Can you give me an idea of your more general approach ... ?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
You write:

"... ... And, yes, ##r(a_1,a_2) = (ra_1,ra_2)##. Remember that you wrote ##a_1 + a_2## as ##(a_1,a_2)##. ... ...My justification for doing this was that the direct sum and the direct product are isomorphic for finite cases in rings/modules ... is this correct?
Yes, it is correct.

The difference between direct products and direct sums is that we consider projections ##p_\nu : \Pi_{\mu \in I} M_\mu \twoheadrightarrow M_\nu## in the case of direct products and injections ##i_\nu : M_\nu \rightarrowtail \Sigma_{\mu \in I} M_\mu ## in the case of direct sums to define them. So it is more of a categorical difference.

There is nothing wrong with your notation. I simply mentioned it, because written as a sum, ##r(a_1,a_2) = (ra_1,ra_2)## becomes more obvious.

Math Amateur said:
"... ... I would have used a more general approach, i.e. not with single elements ... ...

Can you give me an idea of your more general approach ... ?
General approach was a bit high-flown. I haven't been lucky with the wording but couldn't find an alternative quickly.
I simply wanted to say, that it's enough to work with the entire sets instead of with single elements. But your right that the latter is more rigor.
The notation with sets is likely a sloppiness I got used to through the years.
##R I \subseteq I## is simply shorter than ##\forall r \in R \; \forall i \in I \Rightarrow r \cdot i \in I## and likewise for addition, or as in our case the matrix multiplication. It spares all the ##Let \; r \in R \, , \, s \in S \, , \, m \in M \, , \, i_1 \in I_1 \, , \, i_2 \in I_2 \, \dots##
However, one has to be careful when using it, because ##RI + RJ \subseteq I+J## does not mean ##ri +rj \in I+J## but ##r_1 i+r_2 j \in I+J##.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks fresh_42 ... appreciate all your help ...

Peter

Related to Triangular Matrix RIngs .... Lam, Proposition 1.17

1. What is a triangular matrix ring?

A triangular matrix ring is a type of algebraic structure that consists of matrices with zeros below or above the main diagonal. These matrices can be either square or rectangular, and the elements in the main diagonal can be any type of ring elements.

2. How is a triangular matrix ring different from a regular matrix ring?

In a regular matrix ring, all elements can have non-zero values in any position within the matrix. In a triangular matrix ring, only the elements above or below the main diagonal can have non-zero values, while the elements on the main diagonal must be from a specific type of ring.

3. What is the significance of Proposition 1.17 in Lam's paper?

Proposition 1.17 in Lam's paper provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a triangular matrix ring to be isomorphic to a direct product of rings. This result is important in understanding the structure and properties of triangular matrix rings.

4. Can a triangular matrix ring have a non-commutative multiplication operation?

Yes, a triangular matrix ring can have a non-commutative multiplication operation. This means that the order in which the matrices are multiplied can affect the result.

5. What are some applications of triangular matrix rings?

Triangular matrix rings have various applications in mathematics and other fields such as physics and engineering. They are used in linear algebra, graph theory, coding theory, and signal processing. They also have applications in the study of differential equations and control theory.