Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Trick for Remembering Schwarzschild Christoffel's/EFE's?

1. Jul 9, 2016 #1
    Anybody have a stupid/intuitive/clever trick/mnemonic/baby-story to remember the Christoffel symbols

nP7No.png

and the Einstein Field equations

FYju7.png

for the Schwarzschild metric

$$ds^2 = A(r)dt^2 - B(r)dr^2 - r^2 d \theta^2 - r^2 \sin^2(\theta) d\varphi^2$$

without even using a pen? I can derive it all multiple ways etc... but writing these things down from thin air from memory without any effort is the next hurdle, any tricks appreciated :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2016 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The signs here are not correct. If the ##dt^2## term is positive then all the other terms need to be negative. (Or vice versa.)

As for mnemonics, I just use a symbolic math package (Maxima and GRTensor in my case) and let it do the grunt work. :wink:

4. Jul 10, 2016 #3
    Thanks, can't edit, meant to write

$$ds^2 = A(r)dt^2 - B(r)dr^2 - r^2 d\theta^2 - r^2 \sin^2(\theta) d \psi^2$$

5. Jul 10, 2016 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I used magic moderator powers to edit the OP and fix the signs. I also corrected the ##\psi## to a ##\varphi## to match the rest of the post.

6. Jul 10, 2016 #5
    Ah even the $$\psi$$ was off, now you see why I want tricks to remember this stuff :-p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted