Trick for Remembering Schwarzschild Christoffel's/EFE's?

In summary, the Christoffel symbols and Einstein Field equations for the Schwarzschild metric can be difficult to remember without writing them down or using a symbolic math package. Some people may have mnemonics or tricks to help remember them, but ultimately it requires practice and familiarity with the concepts.
bolbteppa
Anybody have a stupid/intuitive/clever trick/mnemonic/baby-story to remember the Christoffel symbols

nP7No.png

and the Einstein Field equations

FYju7.png

for the Schwarzschild metric

$$ds^2 = A(r)dt^2 - B(r)dr^2 - r^2 d \theta^2 - r^2 \sin^2(\theta) d\varphi^2$$

without even using a pen? I can derive it all multiple ways etc... but writing these things down from thin air from memory without any effort is the next hurdle, any tricks appreciated :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bolbteppa said:
the Schwarzschild metric

$$
ds^2 = A(r)dt^2 - B(r)dr^2 + r^2 d \theta^2 + r^2 \sin^2(\theta) d\psi^2
$$

The signs here are not correct. If the ##dt^2## term is positive then all the other terms need to be negative. (Or vice versa.)

As for mnemonics, I just use a symbolic math package (Maxima and GRTensor in my case) and let it do the grunt work. :wink:

Likes vanhees71
Thanks, can't edit, meant to write

$$ds^2 = A(r)dt^2 - B(r)dr^2 - r^2 d\theta^2 - r^2 \sin^2(\theta) d \psi^2$$

Likes vanhees71
bolbteppa said:
can't edit

I used magic moderator powers to edit the OP and fix the signs. I also corrected the ##\psi## to a ##\varphi## to match the rest of the post.

Ah even the $$\psi$$ was off, now you see why I want tricks to remember this stuff :-p

Related to Trick for Remembering Schwarzschild Christoffel's/EFE's?

1. What is the Schwarzschild Christoffel symbol?

The Schwarzschild Christoffel symbol is a mathematical notation used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime around a massive object, such as a black hole. It represents the connection between the space and time components of the metric tensor, which describes the geometry of the spacetime.

2. Why is it important to remember the Schwarzschild Christoffel symbol?

The Schwarzschild Christoffel symbol is important because it allows us to calculate the curvature of spacetime and understand the effects of gravity on objects. It is also a key component in solving the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy.

3. What is the trick for remembering the Schwarzschild Christoffel symbol?

The trick for remembering the Schwarzschild Christoffel symbol is to use the mnemonic "SUVAT" (pronounced "soo-vat") which stands for Space, Unit, Velocity, Acceleration, Time. Each letter represents a specific component of the symbol and can help you remember the correct order of the indices.

4. What are the Einstein field equations?

The Einstein field equations (EFE's) are a set of ten nonlinear partial differential equations that describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. They were developed by Albert Einstein as part of his theory of general relativity.

5. How can I use the EFE's to solve problems?

To solve problems using the EFE's, you must first identify the metric tensor and the stress-energy tensor for the given system. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques, such as tensor calculus, to manipulate the equations and solve for the unknowns. It is important to have a strong understanding of differential geometry and tensor algebra in order to successfully solve problems using the EFE's.